This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3934 / 51°23'36"N
Longitude: -0.4905 / 0°29'25"W
OS Eastings: 505117
OS Northings: 167115
OS Grid: TQ051671
Mapcode National: GBR 1F.T6B
Mapcode Global: VHFTX.G71P
Entry Name: Bridge and Other Remains of Abbey Mills at Abbey Chase
Listing Date: 27 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039968
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361724
Location: Runnymede, Surrey, KT16
Electoral Ward/Division: Chertsey St Ann's
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Chertsey
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
BRIDGE ROAD (off)
Bridge and other
remains of Abbey
TQ 06 NE Mills at Abbey
Formerly part of a water mill, in the possession of Chertsey Abbey at the Dissolution.
Medieval, C18 or C19 and earlier C20. Bridge of three arches, the arches lined with
large blocks of .masonry. on N.W. side, comparable with masonry related to the medieval
Chertsey Abbey site; bridge may have been widened on S.E. in post-Reformation period,
where there is a tendency to more brick than stone as lining to the bridge arches.
Brick and similar masonry in lower walls of channels on N.W. of bridge. Bridge
parapet and upper channel walls faced with masonry added probably in the 1920s and
probably by Percy Cane as part of his design for the landscaping of the gardens at
Abbey Chase. Wooden sluices across N.W. end now partly decayed. Water discharged
under bridge into lower millpond; overflow from upper pool discharges through channel
in N bank.
The mill is included within the Abbey Estate on a 1735 map, the documentation to
which indicates that the estate was then identical with that granted away upon the
C16 Dissolution. Part of the mill is shown in C19 photograps and maps as straddling
the Abbey river, immediately to N.W. of bridge, with the miller's house adjacent to
south. The mills are described as Abbey Mills in C18 and C19 sources, eg sketch of
1804-06 for 1st edition O.S 1" map, and in minutes of 4th July 1811 of the City of
London Corporation Committee for improving-the navigation of the River Thames. Abbey
Chase House was built on the site miller's house in early C20.
Listing NGR: TQ0511767115
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings