History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatehouse Approximately 10 Metres to North East of Langley Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ruckley and Langley, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5977 / 52°35'51"N

Longitude: -2.6806 / 2°40'50"W

OS Eastings: 353999

OS Northings: 300202

OS Grid: SJ539002

Mapcode National: GBR BM.9GR9

Mapcode Global: WH8C7.SYQY

Entry Name: Gatehouse Approximately 10 Metres to North East of Langley Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Last Amended: 14 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1039985

English Heritage Legacy ID: 361562

Location: Ruckley and Langley, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Ruckley and Langley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Acton Burnell

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Frodesley

Listing Text

RUCKLEY AND LANGLEY C.P. LANGLEY
SJ 50 SW
6/153 Gatehouse approximately
13.6.58 10 metres to north-east
of Langley Hall Farmhouse
(Formerly listed as Langley
Gatehouse)
- II*

Gatehouse. Circa 1600 with probably C15 core. Squared and coursed
grey sandstone ground floor to south-west with grey sandstone
ashlar above, roughly squared and coursed grey sandstone ground floor
to south-east, and timber framed to north-east and first floor to south-
east with wattle and daub, lath and plaster, and red brick infill,
partly rebuilt in red brick to west; stone slate roof. 3 framed bays.
2 storeys and attic. South-west front: chamfered string course and 2
full dormers with coped parapeted gables and 2-light double-chamfered
stone mullioned windows, blocked with red brick; central octagonal
stone ridge stack with coping and decorative cresting, and external
end stack to left has dressed grey sandstone lower part with chamfered
plinth and 2 star-plan brick shafts. 4-windows to first floor; 2-
and 3-light double-chamfered stone mullioned windows, and small one-
light window between first and second from left; large ground-floor,
probably C15 pointed archway off-centre to right with continuous double
chamfer; boarded door inside archway to right. North-east front:
carriageway off-centre to left with chamfered and stopped wooden lintel
and flanking large stone buttresses with chamfered offsets; 2 large
gabled dormers with moulded barge boards, that to left has C16 three-
light stone mullioned window, blocked with red brick,and that to
right with exposed king post truss. Framing: close studding with
middle rail; square panels with parallel diagonal struts forming lozenge
patterns; possibly medieval ground-floor square-panel framing to left
with cusped corner brace; first-floor above carriageway rebuilt in C18
with light framing and long straight braces. Ground-floor framing
partly removed to right to form 2-bay open-fronted cartshed with part
of moulded surround to former doorway at left. First-floor red
brick and stone gardrobe in angle of north-west end stack with lean-to
stone slate roof and small chamfered square stone window with ogee
head. Exposed collar and tie-beam truss with queen struts in gable
end to south-east. Interior not inspected but likely to be of interest.
Langley Hall was an L-shaped building standing within a moated enclosure
to the north-east of the gatehouse. It was a farmhouse by 1717, still
standing in 1846 but demolished in the late C19. The present Langley Hall
Farmhouse (not included in this list) dates from c.1850 and stands to
the south-west-of the gatehouse. There is said to have been an embattled
wall adjoining the gatehouse to the north, demolished in 1961.
V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p. 143; B.O.E., p. 163, H.E. Forrest F.L.S.,
Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, 1924, p p. 176-9; Salop
Records Office, 1846 tithe map (3973/T/2).

Listing NGR: SJ5399900202

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.