History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dcc Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Dronfield, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.302 / 53°18'7"N

Longitude: -1.4762 / 1°28'34"W

OS Eastings: 435001

OS Northings: 378470

OS Grid: SK350784

Mapcode National: GBR LZ48.60

Mapcode Global: WHDF2.988F

Entry Name: The Dcc Library

Listing Date: 9 January 1967

Last Amended: 7 July 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040034

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79522

Location: Dronfield, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S18

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Dronfield

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Dronfield St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Dronfield

Listing Text

PARISH OF DRONFIELD HIGH STREET
SK 37 NW - SK 37 NE
5/42 - 6/42 (South Side)
The DCC Library
9.1.67 (formerly listed as
The Manor House)
GV II
County Council Library, formerly the Manor House. c1700, with
later alterations and additions; converted to library and
offices 1967. Coursed squared coal measures sandstone with
ashlar dressings, rising from a shallow chamfered plinth.
Moulded eaves cornice with bold brackets, and a hipped slated
roof. Two storeys and basement, seven bays 3-1-3, with advanced
entrance porch of two storeys, the doorway having a semi-
circular headed moulded surround, impost blocks and keyblock
with flanking pilasters and a flattened pulvinated entablature
enclosing the opening. Window openings, formerly 2-light flush
mullions with transoms, now with glazing bar sashes, four x four
panes, set in old stone surrounds. Moulded stringcourse to the
heads of the ground floor windows. The entrance is approached
by semi-circular steps. The rear and north elevations retain
mullioned and transomed openings. Interior, much altered, but
retaining C17 square oak panelling, and C17 oak turned baluster
stair with ball finials to posts and a moulded handrail. The
house was built for Ralph Burton, Lord of the Manor, whose
father Francis purchased the earlier house from Lionel Fanshawe,
1674. The house passed to the Rossington family, who sold it to
John Rotherham in 1750. Inherited 1295 by Joseph Cecil. Sold
to the local authority in the 1930s. Source: The Derbyshire
Country House, Vol II. Craven and Maxwell.


Listing NGR: SK3500178470

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.