History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Souls

A Grade II Listed Building in North Heywood, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5955 / 53°35'43"N

Longitude: -2.2033 / 2°12'11"W

OS Eastings: 386641

OS Northings: 411007

OS Grid: SD866110

Mapcode National: GBR FV1V.SV

Mapcode Global: WHB8X.4W2J

Entry Name: Church of All Souls

Listing Date: 12 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040076

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358849

Location: Rochdale, OL10

County: Rochdale

Local Authority Ward: North Heywood

Built-Up Area: Heywood

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Sudden St Aidan and All Souls Heywood

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Heywood

Listing Text

SD 81 SE HEYWOOD ROCHDALE ROAD EAST
(south side)

6/22 Church of All Souls

II

Church 1898-9, F.P. Oakley. Tower 1908. Coursed rock faced
stone with slate roof. Nave with clerestory, aisles, north
tower and porch. The polygonal apse has a hexagonal vestry
to the north and a chapel to the south. The 6-bay nave and
aisles have cusped plate-tracery in a C13 style, of 2-light
to the aisle and 3 lights to the clerestory. The 4-stage
tower stands outside the aisle, has angled buttresses which
turn into diagonal buttresses at the bell-stage, the parapet
has blind traceried arcading and the bell stage traceried
lancet openings. Diagonal weathered gableted buttresses
flank the 3-bay polygonal apse which has 2 and 3-light
geometrical tracery window in each face. The vestry is
roofed pyramidally. Interior: brick faced with stone
dressings, the 5-bay double chamfered nave arcade has
octagonal columns with plain bold capitals. The chancel
arch has detached shafts. Both the entrance porch and
chancel have quadripartite brick vaulting; the nave roof is
a scissor-braced hammer-beam roof with arch braces. The
tower was donated by Rathbone Hartley the first vicar.


Listing NGR: SD8664111007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.