History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Tithe Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Collyweston, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6143 / 52°36'51"N

Longitude: -0.5336 / 0°32'0"W

OS Eastings: 499384

OS Northings: 302844

OS Grid: SK993028

Mapcode National: GBR FW8.3WX

Mapcode Global: WHGM2.SK35

Entry Name: The Tithe Barn

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 31 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040122

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232901

Location: Collyweston, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE9

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Collyweston

Built-Up Area: Collyweston

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Collyweston St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Duddington

Listing Text

COLLYWESTON HALL YARD
SK9902 (North side)
8/37 No.4 (The Tithe Barn)
23/05/67 (Formerly listed as Dovecote
and Barn at Manor Farm)


- II


Tithe barn and attached dovecote, now house. Datestones: E.R. and 1570 or 1578,
converted to house late C20. Squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate
roof. Originally single-unit tithe barn and attached dovecote. Originally single
storey, now 2 storeys with attic. Entrance front has C2l porch and flanking C20
casements under wood lintels, to far left and right. 2 C20 eaves dormers to
centre. Ashlar gable parapets. Gable to left has pitch hole, now window, under
old wood lintel and small window above with moulded stone surround, Gable to
right rebuilt C20 incorporating old masonry with initials and datestone on
kneelers. Rear elevation has former central cart entrance, now glazed screen,
under old reset wood lintel. C20 openings to left and right. 4 C20 eaves
dormers. Chamfered plinth steps down diagonally to follow the fall of the
ground, attached wall to left is remains of former dovecote which was demolished
late C20. Interior: some original rafters visible. Originally part of
Collyweston Palace which had been the home of Lady Margret Beaufont until her
death in the early C16, and which dismantled about 1640.
(RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p33)


Listing NGR: SK9938402844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.