History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hemington, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.452 / 52°27'7"N

Longitude: -0.3947 / 0°23'40"W

OS Eastings: 509188

OS Northings: 284996

OS Grid: TL091849

Mapcode National: GBR GZQ.91F

Mapcode Global: VHFNR.3MPN

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040226

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232646

Location: Hemington, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Hemington

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Hemington St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Oundle

Listing Text

HEMINGTON LUDDINGTON ROAD
TL08NE, TL08SE (East side)
9/91, 12/91 Church of St. Peter and
23/05/67 St. Paul
GV II*

Church. C13 origins, largely rebuilt 1666 for Lord Montagu, restored and nave
rebuilt 1873. Squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with C20 concrete
slate roof. Nave, chancel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of
chancel is a 2 window range of C19 two-light windows with shallow segmental
heads, with differing sill heights. 2 stage buttress to far right. Central
priests door. Corbelled cornice with central gargoyle. Steeply gabled roof with
ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finial. C19, three-light, east window with
quatrefoil tracery. North elevation of chancel is similar to south elevation,
without a priests door. South elevation of nave of 3 bays, 2 window range. C19
two-light windows to centre and right. 2-stage buttresses to far left and right.
Plain cornice, with gargoyle, to right. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar gable
parapets and kneelers. The names 'Montagu' and 'E.Thornhill' are inscribed to
left and right of the right hand window. C19 gabled porch has roll moulded outer
arch with cluster responds. Inner doorway has semi-circular head with moulded
surround. C17 plank door with strap hinges. Initials E.T.H, inscribed to left of
doorway. Return walls have quatrefoil windows. North elevation of nave is a 3
window range of C19 two-light windows. 2 stage buttresses to far left and right.
Plain cornice with 2 gargoyles. Tall ashlar stack abutts east gable.
Perpendicular west tower of 4 stages with 3-stage clasping buttresses to lower 3
stages. West door has 2 centred arch head with chamfered and hollowed surround.
Square plaque with Montagu arms above. 3-light Perpendicular west window, to
second stage, has 4-centred arch head and hollow reveals. Relieving arch to
lower part of third stage, Single light window above with similar window in
south face. 2-light bell-chamber openings, to each face of upper stage, have
Y-tracery and hollow reveals. Moulded string course, with castellated ashlar
parapet above. 3 stage buttresses, in two directions, at abuttment of tower with
nave. Interior: C19 double chamfered chancel arch, with polygonal responds,
incorporating some earlier masonry. Double chamfered tower arch with plain
responds. C17 nave roof of 4 bays with double collar trusses C19 chancel roof.
Square font, with chamfered corners, has carved head on each corner. The bowl is
supported on a short circular pier with nailhead decoration. C19 altar reredos
with flanking piscina and aumbry. 10 very fine stalls, in chancel, from church
of St. Mary the Virgin and All Saints Fotheringhay (q.v.). All have misericords
which include a publican, hawk, mermaid, owl and tumbler. Bench ends have swan
neck finials and tracery. Cl9 pulpit incorporating fragments of Perpendicular
screen. Monuments, Thomas Montagu died 1517 and wife. 2 brass figures with
inscribed panel and 3 shields; matrices of fourth shield. Stained glass; south
window to centre of nave has fragment of glass, probably C17, with Montagu arms
at east window.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p253; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p89)

Listing NGR: TL0918884996

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.