This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4517 / 52°27'6"N
Longitude: -0.4573 / 0°27'26"W
OS Eastings: 504937
OS Northings: 284871
OS Grid: TL049848
Mapcode National: GBR FY9.C5X
Mapcode Global: VHFNQ.1M3V
Entry Name: Lathams Cottages, Attached Wall, Gate Arches and Chapel
Listing Date: 23 January 1967
Last Amended: 25 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040244
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232590
Location: Barnwell, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Barnwell
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Barnwell St Andrew with All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
BARNWELL ST. ANDREW
Nos.1 to 8 (inclusive) Lathams
Cottages, attached wall, Gate
Arches and Chapel.
(Formerly listed as Latham's Hospital, Church Lane)
12 almshouses now 8 almshouses. Founded 1601 by Nicholas Latham, rebuilt 1864
and altered mid C20. Squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate roofs.
Courtyard plan. Single storey. Ranges to left and right of courtyard are each of
4 dwellings: 8-window range of 2- and 3-light stone mullion windows. 4 plank
doors, with 4-centred arch heads and moulded stone surrounds, to far left and
right and to left and right of centre. The 2-light stone mullion windows
adjacent to the doors are mid C20 and replace doorways. Ashlar gable parapets
with finials and ashlar stacks at ridge. Rears of each range have lean-to
extensions. The front wall linking the gable ends of each range has ashlar
copings and central C17 gatearch with 4-centred arch head. Gatearch has date
1601 on front and 1600 on rear and inscription, "Cast thy bread uppon the
waters". Large inscribed panel in gable end of right hand range describes the
life and bequests of Nicholas Latham who died 1620. Chapel to rear of courtyard
is a 3-window range with 2-, 3- and 4-light stone mullion windows to centre and
right and large canted bay window with stone mullions to left. Gabled-over bay
window has corbelled corners. Ashlar gable parapets and finials and central
ashlar stack to rear. Double plank door with moulded stone surround to right
gable. The chapel is linked by walls to flanking ranges. Walls to left and right
have central gatearches with 4-centred arch heads. Interior of chapel has raised
dais at east end, exposed C19 roof structure and stained glass to bay windows.
The almshouses were originally founded for 14 persons.
Listing NGR: TL0493784871
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings