History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Cotterstock, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5028 / 52°30'9"N

Longitude: -0.456 / 0°27'21"W

OS Eastings: 504898

OS Northings: 290549

OS Grid: TL048905

Mapcode National: GBR FXQ.5HR

Mapcode Global: VHFNJ.1CR7

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040253

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232603

Location: Cotterstock, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Cotterstock

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Cotterstock St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Oundle

Listing Text


TL0490
17/48
25/05/67


COTTERSTOCK
CHURCH LANE
(East side)
Church of St. Andrew


GV I


Church. Late C12, C13, C14 chancel added after foundation of College at
Cotterstock in 1337, C15 porch, restored and extended 1876. Coursed limestone
rubble, squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with Collyweston slate
and lead roofs. Aisled nave chancel south porch, vestry and west tower. South
elevation of chancel is ashlar with a 3-window range of large, 3-light,
Decorated windows with cusped lozenges. 2-stage buttresses between bays. Plain
parapet with 2 gargoyles. Steeply gabled roof with Collyweston slates and
ashlar gable parapets. 5-light east window is similar to south aisle windows.
Central buttress below window and flanking 3-stage buttresses, stringcourse
above window and plain gable above. North elevation of chancel of 3 bays,
2-window range of 3-light windows similar to the south elevation. Central 2
stage buttress and priest's door to left. Gabled vestry c.1876 projects from bay
to far left. C19 octagonal flue rises from parapet of main roof. South aisle of
2 bays, one-window range with a 2-light square-head window to the right. 2-stage
clasping buttresses at the corners. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets.
2-light east and west windows; west window has a square head. Ashlar gabled
porch projects from left bay. Outer doorway has 4-centre arch head and moulded
stone surround with multi-polygonal responds. Inner doorway is double chamfered
with a 2-centred arch head. 2-stage clasping buttresses at corners. 2-light
square head windows, in return walls, have central gargoyles above. Shallow
gabled roof, with castellated ashlar parapet, has armorial beasts at apex and
eaves. Tierceron-vaulted ceiling with ridge ribs and fine carved bosses. North
aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range of 2-light square head windows. North doorway,
in bay to right, has 2-centred arch head and moulded surround. Single-stage
clasping buttresses at corners. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. 2-light east
and west windows; west window has square head. Nave clerestory of 2-window range
of 2-light square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof has plain ashlar parapet
with corbel table. West tower of regular coursed rubble, 3 stages with ashlar
clasping buttresses to western corners of lower 2 stages. Late C12 west doorway
has one order of shafts with scalloped capitals and semi-circular arch with
zig-zag decoration. Niche, above; has a carved bracket and C19 statue of St.
Andrew. Small single-light window above. There are no divisions between the
lower 2 stages on the south and west faces. The lower stage on the north face is
rendered. C13 two-light bell-chamber openings with plate tracery, one order of
shafts and central shafts. Perpendicular castellated ashlar parapet has panel
decoration. Evidence of blocked openings in south wall of tower. Interior: 2-bay
nave arcade of early C13 double-chamfered arches with circular piers and
octagonal capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds
and double chamfered tower arch with semi-circular responds and nailhead
decoration to the capitals. Original chancel ceiling, following a shallower
pitch than the gabled roof above it, has moulded beams with 5 carved bosses. C19
nave and aisle roofs. Piscina and triple sedilia, to right of altar, has ogee
head openings with carved label stops and crocketing. Ogee-head niche to left of
altar. Doorway to vestry has traces of paintwork on hood mould and originally
led to the College buildings. Stone benches to aisle walls. Coffin lid forms
bench end to left of south doorway. Squints to right and left of chancel arch.
Carved bracket to left of north aisle east window. Stained glass: fragments of
medieval glass in north east window of north aisle. C19 and C20 stained glass in
centre and east windows of north aisle, south east and east windows of south
aisle and belfry window. Perpendicular octagonal font decorated with eleborate
cusping. Monuments: Defaced effigy in tower probably a C13 Canon. Robert
Wintringham, Canon of Lincoln died 1420, brass effigy with architectural
surround with tall pinnacles. John Sinscare died 1760 by Edward Bingham of
Peterborough. Inscribed tablet in tower with flanking tapered pilasters and
obelisk over; naval still-life below. Various C18 and C19 inscribed tablets in
tower. The Chantry College was founded for a provost and 12 Canons by John
Gifford, Canon of York and was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, Blessed
Apostles, St. Andrew and All Saints. It was dissolved in 1536.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p160; VCH: Northamptonshire; Vol.2:
p166; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire:
p37)


Listing NGR: TL0489890549

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.