This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4544 / 52°27'15"N
Longitude: -0.4563 / 0°27'22"W
OS Eastings: 504993
OS Northings: 285166
OS Grid: TL049851
Mapcode National: GBR FY9.5FR
Mapcode Global: VHFNQ.1KLV
Entry Name: Barnwell Manor
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Last Amended: 25 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040281
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232574
Location: Barnwell, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Barnwell
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Barnwell St Andrew with All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
BARNWELL ST. ANDREW
(Formerly listed as The house at Barnwell Castle)
Manor house. Probably late C16, C17, for Montagu family, and mid C18, late
C18/early C19 and late C19/early C20, parts by Gotch and Saunders, remodelling
by Sir A. Richardson. Squared coursed limestone with limestone and lias ashlar
dressings and facades. Collyweston slate roofs. Original plan is indeterminate,
now irregular double depth. 2 storeys with attics. Entrance front of 3 gabled
bays. Irregular 4-window range of 3-light and 4-light stone mullion windows with
king mullions; all under hood moulds. Centre and right gables have 3- and
4-light stone mullion attic windows, respectively. Narrow single-light windows
to first floor right of centre and left gables. 4-light window above porch and
3-light window in gable above are both late C16/C17. Other windows are late
C19/early C20. Evidence of C18 sash window head, above study window, to left of
porch. Central late C19/early C20 ashlar porch has square-head outer doorway
with moulded stone surround. Parapet has central armorial panel of the Montagu
family and flanking obelisks at the corners. 2-light stone mullion windows in
return walls. Chamfered plinth and moulded string course. Ashlar gable parapets,
kneelers and finials. Ashlar ridge stack with moulded cornice. Straight joints
between centre and flanking gables indicate different builds probably from late
C16 to late C17. Return wall to left of entrance front has stone mullion window
at ground floor with attic gablet above. Range set back to right of entrance
front is by Gotch and Saunders in C17 style. Tall central gable and bay to left.
Large stone mullion window, with transom, to attic level of central gable.
Smaller gablet to left. Other windows are similar: stone mullions with transoms.
Ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finials and ashlar ridge stacks with moulded
cornices. Square armorial plaque, of the Montagu family, to first floor level.
Range to rear left of entrance front is early C20 and was added after the range
to the right, in C17 style. Tall gable to far left. Large stone mullion windows
with transoms. Ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finials. Ashlar lateral
stacks to right of gable and adjacent to attic gablet on return wall, to left.
Garden front, to rear of entrance front, has late C18/early C19 centre range of
lias ashlar with limestone ashlar dressings. 3 sash windows to right, with
glazing bars, under gauged stone heads with keyblocks. Large polygonal bay to
left with similar sash windows to 3 faces and conical roof. Raised band between
floors. Range to left is by Gotch and Saunders possibly incorporating some
earlier work. This range was modified in the early C20. 4 bays with tall gable
to far left, 2- and 3-light stone mullion windows with transoms and hood moulds.
Attic windows have eaves dormers with gablets. Ashlar gable parapets and
kneelers and ashlar ridge stacks with moulded cornices. Single-storey service
buildings, in similar style, are attached to far left of this range. Range to
right, added early C20, in similar style. Tall gable to far right. Large stone
mullion windows with transoms. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers. Interior:
entrance hall has C17 panelling, probably reset, with reeded pilasters flanking
archway to staircase hall. Plaster ceiling with vine leaf decoration. Mid C17
painted panel with the Montagu arms set into panelling to left of entrance.
Inner staircase hall is early C20 in C17 style. Staircase, with moulded splat
balusters, rises around an open well with half landing. Study to left of
entrance hall has early C20 panelling. Dining room to centre of garden front has
C18 style pine panelling, C18 style fireplace surround and dentilled cornice.
Sitting room, to left of dining room, has C18 style bolection moulded panelling
and fireplace with eared and moulded surround. Dentilled cornice. Early C20
Drawing room to far left has panelling, installed about 1938, by Sir Albert
Richardson. 5 inset painted panels of about 1735-40 depict the Duke of Rutland
hunting near Haddon Hall. First floor rooms of late C16/C17 entrance front have
spine beams. Attic above has plaster floor. Internal wall of this range is noted
as having a late C16/C17 window opening. Barnwell Manor was probably developed
as a dwelling by the Montagu family after Barnwell Castle (q.v.) ceased to be
used for domestic purposes. It is thought possible that one bay of the existing
entrance front was in existance as a porters lodge or similar service building
when Barnwell Castle was still in use as a residence. It is possible that the
two flanking bays of the entrance front were linked during the C17 to give the
triple gable arrangement. Building work was carried out in the mid C18 and late
C18/early C19 including the garden front centre range. The flanking wings were
added late C19/early C20. In 1913 the house was sold by the Duke of Buccleuch to
Mr. Horace Czarnikov who added the drawing room wing and carried out alteration
to the service wings. Mrs. MacGarth, a subsequent owner, is noted as introducing
reset panelling. The house was sold in 1938 to Their Royal Highnesses the Duke
and Duchess of Gloucester who employed Sir Albert Richardson to carry out
certain internal remodelling.
(Barnwell Manor gardens are included in the H.B.M.C.E. Register of Gardens at
grade II; Buildings of England, Northamptonshire:.p101; Hussey, C.: Country
Life, September 10 1959: p238-241 and September 17 1959: p298-301; Traylers A.R.
(editor) Barnwell in Northamptonshire: p3-7; Giggins B.: unpublished research)
Listing NGR: TL0499385166
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings