History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables, Immediately North East of Manfield Orthopaedic Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Northampton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.266 / 52°15'57"N

Longitude: -0.8616 / 0°51'41"W

OS Eastings: 477785

OS Northings: 263703

OS Grid: SP777637

Mapcode National: GBR BVX.YT8

Mapcode Global: VHDS0.09VQ

Entry Name: Stables, Immediately North East of Manfield Orthopaedic Hospital

Listing Date: 9 December 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040373

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232293

Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN3

County: Northamptonshire

District: Northampton

Town: Northampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Parklands

Built-Up Area: Northampton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Northampton St Alban the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Moulton

Listing Text

NORTHAMPTON KETTERING ROAD
SP 76 SE
14/10002
Stables,
immediately NE of
Manfield orthopaedic
Hospital

GV II

Stables and coach house. 1899-1902 by Charles Dorman for James
Manfield, a Northampton shoe manufacturer. Dressed ironstone, Portland
stone arch, Timber gables and red brick inside court and at rear.
Stone slate gable-ended roofs; plain tile rear slopes.

PLAN: built around 3 sides of courtyard with garden wall on SE side
and carriageway on SW side.

EXTERIOR: 1 storey and lofts. Asymmetrical 1:4:1:2 bay SW front with
elliptical ashlar arch carriageway to right of centre with keystone,
Tuscan columns and timber frame first floor with wooden corner columns
and jettied gable. Timber-frame gable to left, 3 and 4-light stone
mullion windows; right-hand end concealed behind service wing of
house. Small triangular gabled louvres in room. NW side has wooden
cross-mullion transom windows and gabled loft doorway at centre with
hoist. Inside courtyard, brick with ashlar elliptical arch carriageway
and large semi-circular arch windows.

INTERIOR: not inspected.


Listing NGR: SP7778563703

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.