History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chelveston cum Caldecott, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3114 / 52°18'40"N

Longitude: -0.5515 / 0°33'5"W

OS Eastings: 498845

OS Northings: 269126

OS Grid: SP988691

Mapcode National: GBR DYL.5CB

Mapcode Global: VHFPF.D59F

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232303

Location: Chelveston cum Caldecott, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN9

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Chelveston cum Caldecott

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Chelveston St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Stanwick

Listing Text

CHELVESTON CUM CALDECOTT CALDECOTT ROAD
SP96NE (East side)
Caldecott
8/5 Church of St. John the Baptist
23/05/67
- II*

Church. Mid C13, C14, C17, north aisle and arcades rebuilt and restored 1849 by
E.F. Law. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings.
Welsh slate and C19 fish-scale tile roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch and
tower attached to north aisle. South elevation of chancel of 3 bays, 2-window
range with C14 three-light square-head window to left and restored lancet to
right. Single chamfered south doorway to centre. 2-stage buttresses between
bays. Steep gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets. 3-light early Perpendicular
east window with panel tracery. Flanking buttresses. North elevation of chancel.
3 blank bays with 2-stage buttresses between. South aisle of 4 bays, 3-window
range of 3-light windows with intersecting tracery. Lean-to roof with ashlar
parapets. Rainwater head has date 1913. 2-light east window with Y-tracery and
single lancet west window with renewed tracery. Gabled porch to left of centre
has hollow chamfer and moulded outer arch and double chamfered and stepped inner
doorway with one order of shafts. C19 plank door with strap hinges. Datestone on
porch 1635. North aisle of 3-window range of C19 two-light windows with 2-stage
buttresses between bays. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. West lancet window.
C13 tower is attached to east end of north aisle by vestry of one-window range
with 2-light east window. Tower of 3 stages with shallow 2-stage gabled angle
buttresses to lower stage. North face of lower stage has triple arcading with
shafts. Centre is a two-light window, restored C19. Outer arcades are blank with
trefoil heads. Small doorway with roll moulding and shafts, in west face. Second
stage is recessed with shallow angle buttresses to mid-point of each face.
2-light bell-chamber openings, with enclosing arch and shafts, to each face of
upper stage. Castellated parapet and short plain pinnacles at corners. Inscribed
tablet on east face of tower commemorates C20 restoration funded by squadrons of
U.S. Air Force. West elevation of nave has 4-light Perpendicular window with
panel tracery. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of lancets restored C19.
Shallow gabled roof with ashlar gable parapet and finial. Interior: 4-bay nave
arcade of C13 double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers, all restored C19.
East pier on north side is formed of 2 octagonal responds and circular respond
to double chamfered arch at end of north aisle. Double chamfered chancel arch
with octagonal responds. Double hollow chamfered arch across east bay of south
aisle has corbelled respond with carved head and foliage. Triple chamfered tower
arch with octagonal responds. C19 roof structures. Double piscina with shaft
between, to right of altar, is partially enclosed by east wall of chancel. 2 2
square-head niches to left of altar and shallow niches to left and right of east
window have C20 figures. Trefoil-head piscina to right of south aisle altar. C19
octagonal font. Monuments: 2 mid C19 tablets in chancel. C19 stained glass
window to north-east window of north aisle.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.148; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.4,
p.8; Northamptonshire County Records Office - drawings collection).


Listing NGR: SP9884569126

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.