This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3657 / 52°21'56"N
Longitude: -0.5935 / 0°35'36"W
OS Eastings: 495862
OS Northings: 275114
OS Grid: SP958751
Mapcode National: GBR DXS.LRG
Mapcode Global: VHFP0.NSLT
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232306
Location: Great Addington, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Great Addington
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Great Addington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
GREAT ADDINGTON CRANFORD ROAD
SP9575 (North side)
14/7 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 origins, mainly C13 and C14, restored C19. Squared coursed and
regular coursed limestone and ironstone with lead roof. Aisled nave,chancel,
north chapel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel is 3-window
range of 2-light Perpendicular square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof with
plain ashlar parapets. Rainwater head has date 1891. 3-light Perpendicular east
window. North elevation of chancel has C19 vestry attached with 2-light east
window and north door. Rainwater head has initials 'J.T.'. South aisle of
2-window range of C14 windows with quatrefoils. 3-light east and west windows
with segmental heads. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. Central gabled porch
has C12 outer arch with spaces for 3 orders of shafts, stiff leaf capitals and
zig-zag decoration to arch. Inner arch is C14 with roll mouldings. Ashlar gable
parapets and finial base. North aisle and north chapel of 4 bays. 3-window
range, of C14 square-head windows with ogee-head tracery and all with carved
label stops. North door in bay to right of centre has stepped and chamfered
semi-circular arch head. Small low-side square-head window in left bay. 2-stage
buttresses between bays. Nave clerestory has 2-light square-head windows.
Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Decorated west tower of 3 stages with
3-stage clasping buttresses to western corners. West door with roll mouldings
has niche above with nodding ogee head and lozenge surround. Diamond window with
cusping to south face of first stage and west face of second stage. 2-light
window to south face of second stage and single lancet to north face. 2-light
bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage. Frieze above has ogee heads
with quatrefoils in the spandrels. Castellated parapet with cross slits.
Flat-topped stair turret behind parapet in south-west corner. Interior: I-bay
nave arcade of double chamfered arches of limestone and ironstone. Octagonal
piers, and north arcade has one quatrefoil pier. Double chamfered chancel arch
and triple chamfered tower arch. Double chamfered arch from north aisle to north
chapel and similar arch from chancel to north chapel. C19 roof structures.
Staircase to former rood loft has doorway with 4-centre head. Recess in south
wall of south aisle has arch head with roll moulding, stiff-leaf finial and
flanking pinnacles. Perpendicular screen in both arches to the north chapel. Tub
font with central column support and 4 detached columns; 4 carved heads around
bowl. Piscina or holy water stoup supported on detached column. Late C17 pulpit.
Early C19 pews, those on south side have door. Plank door with original lock to
south porch. Monuments: John Bloxham c.1519, brass figure left of altar with
scroll emanating from head, on a plain chest-tomb. Sir Henry Vere died 1493, in
north chapel, formerly Chantry Chapel, alabaster effigy. Various C18 tablets to
Lambe family and C19 tablets to Tyley family in chancel. Stained glass: low-side
window in north chapel has reset medieval glass, also fragments of similar glass
in north aisle window. C19 stained glass to east windows of chancel and south
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.228).
Listing NGR: SP9586275114
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings