This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1533 / 52°9'12"N
Longitude: -1.2771 / 1°16'37"W
OS Eastings: 449555
OS Northings: 250808
OS Grid: SP495508
Mapcode National: GBR 7RR.V8T
Mapcode Global: VHCVW.T46L
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040412
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234275
Location: Aston Le Walls, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN11
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Aston Le Walls
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Aston-le-Walls St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
MAIN STREET (North side),
Church of St. Leonard
Church. C12/C13, and early C14. Restored c.1870 and 1881-2 by J. M. Townsend.
Coursed squared ironstone and coursed rubble, lead and slate roofs. Chancel,
nave and aisles south porch, west tower and west porch. Chancel has C14 priest's
door to north and early C14 windows with cusped Y tracery (mostly renewed C19).
two early C13 windows right of porch in south aisle. Window to left, 2 lights with
plate tracery, window to right, pair of lancets. C19 window left of porch. C14
west window ha 2 ogee-headed lights under square hood and ogee-headed recess
below. C14 south porch, restored C19. C13 inner doorway has arch with roll
mouldings, jamb shafts with bell capitals and a ribbed plank door North doorway
(blocked) c.1200 has pointed arch of 2 unchamfered orders. Jambs have scallop
capital to east and capital with stylised leaves to west. Shafts missing. Two
early C13 two-light windows to left. West tower C12/C13. Three stages, plain
parapet; C12 round-headed lancet south side ground stage C13 bell openings of 2
lights with plate tracery (renewed C19). Gabled C14 porch. Inner doorway c.1200
has pointed arch of 3 unchamfered orders, chamfered jambs and simple moulded
band in place of capitals.
INTERIOR: C13 double piscina and sedilia in chancel.
C13 nave arcades, 3 bays with circular and octagonal piers and double chamfered
arches. Perpendicular nave roof. Romanesque font, square carved with
intersecting blind arcading on south side, knot pattern to east, tree of life to
west and chequer pattern to north. C14 stone effigy of a priest in recess in
chancel with cusped arch flanked by finial thought to be monument to John de
Ardele, who was presented as priest to this church in 1348 (V.C.H.). Monument to
Elizabeth Orme, died 1692, wall tablet, north aisle, white marble with black
Ionic half columns surmounted by crest and small portrait bust. Bench ends have
re-used medieval tracery and small buttresses.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.95; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.I,
Listing NGR: SP4955550808
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings