History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill Hollow

A Grade II Listed Building in Sulgrave, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1068 / 52°6'24"N

Longitude: -1.1894 / 1°11'21"W

OS Eastings: 455616

OS Northings: 245700

OS Grid: SP556457

Mapcode National: GBR 8TS.S5R

Mapcode Global: VHCW4.B9LQ

Entry Name: Mill Hollow

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040417

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234183

Location: Sulgrave, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Sulgrave

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Sulgrave St James the Less

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Sulgrave

Listing Text

SULGRAVE
SP54NE
4/154 Mill Hollow

- II

House, formerly Mill house. C18 with C19 attic storey. Coursed limestone rubble,
slate roof brick stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys, attic and cellar, 3 bays. Entrance
in second bay from left has stone hood on brackets and C20 six-panel door in
plair stone frame. 2-light casement window with wood lintel to left. 3-light
casement window with wood lintel to right. Similar window in right bay and
one-light window with wood lintel in second bay from right. 3-light windows with
wood lintels in right bay and second bay from right on first floor. 2-light
window in left bay. 2-light casement windows with wood lintels in attic, except
in second bay from right with one-light window and wood lintel. All have C20
wood casements and leaded panes. Chamfered spine beam. 4-panel doors. Wing
extending from left side. Squared coursed limestone and ironstone, slate roof, 2
storeys and attic, 2 bays.Entrance in left bay with plain stone arch and plank
door, and casement windows with wood lintels. Interior: House has chamfered
spine beams in ground floor room and C18 four-panel doors. Interior of left wing
not inspected but said to have the remains of an iron mill-wheel of c.1840 in
the right bay and the oven of former bakery in the left bay. John Brockliss,
the owner of the mill, ordered machinery from Boulton and Watts in 1788. Letters
concerning this order and specifications by Boulton and Watts are in Birminghan
Public Library.


Listing NGR: SP5561645700

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.