This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1455 / 52°8'43"N
Longitude: -1.2106 / 1°12'38"W
OS Eastings: 454112
OS Northings: 249981
OS Grid: SP541499
Mapcode National: GBR 8TC.DRF
Mapcode Global: VHCVX.YBVM
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040476
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234120
Location: Eydon, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN11
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Eydon
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Eydon St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
EYDON SCHOOL LANE
SP54NW (South side)
3/91 Church of St. Nicholas
Church. C13 and C14. Restored and enlarged 1864-5 by R.C. Hussey who added the
south aisle and extended north aisle east to form vestry. Squared coursed
ironstone, limestone dressings, slate roof. Chancel, north vestry, aisled nave,
south porch, west tower. East window of chancel, C19. Three C14 two-light
windows with flowing tracery to south. North aisle has three 2-light C14 windows
with flowing tracery, and late Perpendicular west window with 3 arched uncusped
lights and square hood. C14 north doorway (blocked). Early C14 west tower of 2
stages has crenellated parapet and C19 pinnacles. Bell openings and west window
with Y-tracery. West doorway has continuous mouldings, Interior: C14 piscina
recess with cusped ogee arch in chancel. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders has
corbels carved with leaves. 4-bay north arcade has double chamfered arches and
early C13 round pier with square abacus to west. Other piers C19. Romanesque
font, the base like an octagonal scalloped capital, recessed circular bowl with
fluted decoration with band of stylised leaves around the top. Stained glass
heraldic shields in windows of north aisle, c.1830 by Russell of Oxford. Stone
effigy of a lady, C14 (badly weathered) in south aisle. Monument to the Rev.
Francis Annesley, died 1811, by Bacon junior. Grey and white marble wall tablet
with urn in shallow relief, above doorway in south aisle.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.211).
Listing NGR: SP5411249981
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings