This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1182 / 52°7'5"N
Longitude: -1.2056 / 1°12'20"W
OS Eastings: 454492
OS Northings: 246955
OS Grid: SP544469
Mapcode National: GBR 8TR.221
Mapcode Global: VHCW4.200Z
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040498
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234067
Location: Culworth, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Culworth
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Culworth St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CULWORTH QUEENS STREET
SP5446 (North side)
11/38 The Old Rectory
House, formerly rectory. 1854 with extensions in 1869. By E F. Law for the
Reverend Charles Hill. Datestone 1854/C.S.H, on left side. Ironstone ashlar,
Limestone dressings, roof covered by snow at time of survey, brick stacks.
L-plan. Elaborate Gothic Revival. 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays. Main block to
left, 3 bays, has central castellated tower with doorway under pointed stone
arch and double half-glazed dour. Gabled bay to right has canted bay window with
stone mullions on the ground floor. 3-light stone mullioned and transomed window
to left. 2-light stone mullioned window in left bay on first floor. Window of 2
trefoil-headed lights above entrance, and of 3-trefoiled lights to right. Attic
windows in right gable and tower, each 2 trefoil-headed lancets. Lower wing set
back to right, of 2 irregular gabled bays, has 3-light stone mullioned windows
on the ground floor, that to left with transom. Trefoil shaped window in left
bay on the first floor. 2 pointed lights with transom in right bay. Interior:
Stone staircase with iron balustrade. Marble fireplaces. Ornamental plaster
cornices. Stained glass screen at entrance to hall with roundels painted with
views of church and rectory. Said to have been built at the expense of The Rev.
Charles Hill's father-in-law, a Birmingham bujinessman,
(Buildings-of England: Northamptonshire, p.172).
Listing NGR: SP5449246955
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings