History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Culworth House

A Grade II Listed Building in Culworth, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1165 / 52°6'59"N

Longitude: -1.2029 / 1°12'10"W

OS Eastings: 454676

OS Northings: 246765

OS Grid: SP546467

Mapcode National: GBR 8TR.8P9

Mapcode Global: VHCW4.32F9

Entry Name: Culworth House

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040499

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234071

Location: Culworth, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Culworth

Built-Up Area: Culworth

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Culworth St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Culworth

Listing Text

CULWORTH QUEENS STREET
SP5446 (South side)
11/42 Culworth House

GV II

House. Probably c.1750, remodelled early C19. Squared coursed ironstone, hipped
slate roof, stone stacks. 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays. Central sash window with
plain stone frame, probably in place of former doorway. C19 bay windows on
either side with pedimented parapets and tripartite sash windows. Sash windows
on first floor in plain stone frames. Central window in attic has arched head
and 2-light casement; 6-pane sash windows in plain stone frames on either side.
Entrance in left side has C19 stone porch with pediment flanked by ball finials
End C20 glazed door with side lights and overlight. Service wing extending from
left side at rear, has rendered walls, slate roof and stone stacks. Interior:
Ground floor room has C18 wood-panelled walls and Rococo marble fireplace
(brought in from elsewhere). Another ground floor room has re-used Jacobean
panelling with arcading around the cornice and panelled overmantel. Staircase
early C19, with turned balusters. Said to have formerly been the Rectory.


Listing NGR: SP5467646765

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.