This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9934 / 51°59'36"N
Longitude: -1.2533 / 1°15'11"W
OS Eastings: 451366
OS Northings: 233030
OS Grid: SP513330
Mapcode National: GBR 8W1.VB7
Mapcode Global: VHCWP.7597
Entry Name: Aynhoe Park
Listing Date: 11 September 1953
Last Amended: 18 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040532
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233936
Location: Aynho, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Aynho
Built-Up Area: Aynho
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Aynho St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP5133 AYNHO ROUND TOWN
12/37 Aynhoe Park
11/09/53 (Formerly listed as Aynho Park
Country house now flats. Early C17. Damaged by fire 1645. Remodelled for the
Cartwright family c.1665 by Edward Marshall; 1707-14, probably by Thomas
Archer; and in 1800-5 by Sir John Soane. Main block, front rendered brick and
limestone ashlar dressings. Rear and wings, limestone ashlar. U-plan with
stables and offices at right angles to central block and linked to it by
archways. North front of main block remodelled 1707-14 and 1800-5. 3 storeys;
11 bays, the 5 centre bays project under a pediment. Central doorway with
rusticated pilaster and large triple keystone breaking into the entablature.
C20 door. 15-pane sash windows with straight keystoned heads and moulded
frames, except those in 5 centre bays of first floor, which have pediments.
Balustraded parapet and pediment added by Soane. Former stables on east side
of courtyard, are of 1707-14 probably by Archer. 2 storeys; 11 bays with
pedimented 5 bay centre defined by chamfered quoins. Central doorway (now
window) has arched head, diagonally set pilasters and concave entablature
broken by a large keystone. 32-pane sash windows on ground floor and in 5
central bays on first floor, 12-pane sash windows in outer bays of first floor.
Blind lunette in pediment. Former service wing on west side courtyard is
similar. Both wings are linked to central block by triumphal arches, 1800-5 by
Soane. One storey and attic, 3 bays with Tuscan half columns flanking the arch
and arched niches in outer bays. Attic with incised decoration. Centre arch
of the western archway is glazed and formed housekeeper's room. The south front
was main entrance in C17 and is shown in a drawing of 1683 by James Fish. Some
details of this date remain. It was remodelled 1707-14. 3 storeys; 11 bays,
the 5 central bays defined by chamfered quoins and bracketed pediment. Central
doorway (now window) has Tuscan half columns and entablature with double
keystone. Arched central window on first floor flanked by Corinthian columns.
Above it is blank stone plaque and pediment framed by heads and swags of fruit.
Other windows are 15-pane sash with straight keystoned heads, except in 5
centre bays on ground and first floor which have pediments. Flanking wings
containing library to left and orangery to right added 1707-14 and heightened
1800-5. Each 2 storeys; 7 bays with arched sash windows on ground floor
divided by coupled pilasters, the capitals with inward turning volutes. First-
floor window frames have incised Grecian decoration by Soane. 2-bay pediment
on west side library by Soane. Interior: Combines work by Archer and Soane.
Entrance hall has early C18 screen of 2 pairs of fluted Doric columns on each
side and C20 alabaster fireplace. East staircase early C18, open well, with 3
balusters to each tread, twisted, fluted and twisted. The newel posts are
fluted Corinthian columns and the tread ends carved with scrolls. Walls have
4 pairs of unfluted Ionic columns added by Soane who planned a more thorough
re-modelling of the staircase. West staircase early C19 by Soane, open well
with glazed dome and iron balustrade. Garden Hall in centre of south front
remodelled by Soane with shallow apsidal ends and groin vault. Early C19 fire-
place of grey and white marble with oval figure reliefs linked by swags.
French Drawing Room to east has mid C19 rococo revival fireplace in red marble
with ormolu decoration. The dining room to the west has at one end 2 unfluted
Ionic columns screening a serving alcove with apsidal ends, each with an
early C19 mahogany buffet. The library has an early C19 cornice of small
Gothic fans and a marble fireplace in the style of Soane with fluted sides and
frieze. The "Cold Bathroom" at the east end of main block on ground floor, by
Soane (re-modelled 1952) has a Greek cross plan with a groin vault on swelling
Tuscan columns. Interior of upper floors not inspected. Park, reputedly
landscaped by Capability Brown.
(H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, 1978 edition, pp.69,
539 and 770; G. Nares, Aynhoe Park; Country Life 2nd, 9th and 16th July 1953,
pp.42, 122, 202).
Listing NGR: SP5136633030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings