History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Street Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3013 / 52°18'4"N

Longitude: -0.6983 / 0°41'54"W

OS Eastings: 488855

OS Northings: 267822

OS Grid: SP888678

Mapcode National: GBR CX2.Q89

Mapcode Global: VHDRW.VF54

Entry Name: West Street Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 9 June 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040564

English Heritage Legacy ID: 233818

Location: Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN8

County: Northamptonshire

District: Wellingborough

Town: Wellingborough

Electoral Ward/Division: Swanspool

Built-Up Area: Wellingborough

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Wellingborough St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Wellingborough

Listing Text

WELLINGBOROUGH WEST STREET
SP8967NW (West side)
11/152 West Street Methodist Chapel
09/06/70

GV II

Congregational church, now Methodist church. Datestones 1734 and 1791, the
latter is probably the date of the present building. Chequered brick, with
ironstone plinth and slate roof. Single-unit chapel with vestibule and gallery.
Entrance front of 4-window range at first floor level and 2-window range at
around floor flanked by five-panelled double doors to left and right. That to
right has late C19 brick porch, that to left has flat arch head with keystone.
C19 casement windows under flat arch heads with keystones. Diagonal brick
cornice and hipped roof. Datestone between first floor windows 1791. Left hand
corner is chamfered and of ironstone. Elevation to left of entrance front is a
similar 3-window range. Datestone between first floor windows 1734. Ashlar
tablet in right has inscription "Primitive Methodist Chapel". Rear elevation has
2 large arch-head windows with C19 glazing bars. Used as a Methodist chapel
since 1882. Interior said to have been remodelled 1962.


Listing NGR: SP8885567822

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.