History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Finedon, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3386 / 52°20'18"N

Longitude: -0.6625 / 0°39'45"W

OS Eastings: 491219

OS Northings: 272010

OS Grid: SP912720

Mapcode National: GBR DY2.7BT

Mapcode Global: VHFP5.GHL2

Entry Name: School House

Listing Date: 23 September 1950

Last Amended: 12 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040663

English Heritage Legacy ID: 233658

Location: Finedon, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN9

County: Northamptonshire

District: Wellingborough

Civil Parish: Finedon

Built-Up Area: Finedon

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Finedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Finedon

Listing Text

FINEOON CHURCH HILL
SP9172 (West side)
6/7 School House
23/09/50 (Formerly listed as Boys
Junior School)
GV II

Boys school and masters house, now house. Datestones 1595 and 1760. Squared coursed ironstone with slate roof. L-shape plan. 2 storeys, part with attic.
Main front abutting road of 3-window range at ground floor of 2- and 3-light
stone-mullioned windows with leaded lights. Gabled cross wing to left of c.1595
has C19 plank door to right with 4-centred moulded stone head. 2-window range to
right is of a different build. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelars, Ironstone
stacks to gable ends of cross wing and ashlar stacks at ridge and end of right
range. Single storey extension to far right has datestone 1760 in covered way.
Pear elevation facing churchyard is similar with 3- and 4-light stone-mullion
windows to cross wing. Datestone 1595 on return wall and Royal coat of arms in
gable with initials E.R. Interior has some chamfered ceiling beams. Endowed as a
boys school 1595 by Richard Walker; closed as school 1961.
(Finedon Otherwise Thingdon by J.L.H. Bailey, p127).


Listing NGR: SP9121972010

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.