This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3426 / 52°20'33"N
Longitude: -0.7397 / 0°44'23"W
OS Eastings: 485952
OS Northings: 272362
OS Grid: SP859723
Mapcode National: GBR CWM.5SQ
Mapcode Global: VHDRP.4D80
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 2 August 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040666
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233564
Location: Orlingbury, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN14
Civil Parish: Orlingbury
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Orlingbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
ORLINGBURY THE GREEN
Church of St. Mary
Church. c.1843 by R.C. Hussey. Lias and limestone ashlar with lead roof.
Cruciform plan with central tower and south porch. Decorated style. South
elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows with small south door
between. The east window is a circular rose with a niche above. North elevation
of chancel is similar to south with a one-bay single-storey vestry projection.
Shallow gabled roof with castellated parapets and finial. South transept of
one-window range with a 4-light south window, 3-light east window and door
opening to west. Shallow gabled roof with castellated parapets and finial. North
transept is similar with stair turret at junction with the nave. South elevation
of nave of 4 bays, 4-window range of 2-light windows. Shallow gabled roof with
castellated parapet and finial. Gabled porch in blank bay to left of centre.
West elevation of nave has 5-light window with roundel in the tracery. North
elevation of nave is a 4-window range similar to the south. 2-stage buttresses
between windows and at all corners. Central tower of 2 stages with gabled ngle
buttresses. Central roundels in each face of lower stage with clock face within
that to south. Quatrefoil frieze between stages. 3-light bell-chamber openings
to each face of upper stage. Castellated parapet with octagonal gabled and
crocketted pinnacles at corners. Interior: double ribbed and chamfered arches at
the crossing. Arcaded reredos to east end. The furnishings are probably all of
c.1843. C19 stained glass to all chancel windows with the exception of the east
window which is C20. Early C20 stained glass to north-east nave window.
Monuments: alabaster effigy of a knight c.1375 reset in alcove in north wall of
chancel. Brasses to William Lane died 1502 and wife in south transept. Two C18
marble tablets to Sturgess family in chancel. Gothic style wall tablet by R.C.
Hussey to Sophia Bridges died 1853 on south wall of chancel. Various C18 reset
and C19 marble tablets to Young family on west wall of south transept and two
C19 Gothic styie tablets probably by R.C. Hussey also to Young family on east
wall of south transept. C19 font in south transept. The rebuilding of the church
was undertaken in 1843 by A.A. Young of Orlingbury Hall and the Rector, B.G.
Bridges, at a cost of £4,500.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.361).
Listing NGR: SP8595272362
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings