This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2457 / 52°14'44"N
Longitude: -0.6777 / 0°40'39"W
OS Eastings: 490375
OS Northings: 261663
OS Grid: SP903616
Mapcode National: GBR DZ6.3H8
Mapcode Global: VHFPK.6TL8
Entry Name: Church of St Romwald
Listing Date: 28 May 1954
Last Amended: 13 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233570
Location: Strixton, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN29
Civil Parish: Strixton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Wollaston with Strixton
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
STRIXTON THE MAIN STREET
SP96SW (North side)
8/286 Church of St. Romwald
28/05/54 (Formerly listed as Church of
Church. C13 west wall, remainder rebuilt in 1873. Squared coursed limestone with
ironstone dressings and plain-tiled roof with alternate courses of fishscale
tiles. Nave, chancel, west turret and south porch. South elevation of chancel of
2-window range of double lancets. Square headed south door to left with low-side
opening to left. Brick relieving arch is probably over site of medieval tomb.
Simple corbled cornice. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets. East window is triple
stepped lancet. Quatrefoil circle in gable above and 3 blank quatrefoils
flanking above. North elevation of chancel is similar to south with low-side
opening to right. South elevation of nave of 2-window range of double lancets.
Cornice of chancel is repeated as a string course cutting the nave window heads.
Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and base of finial. Central gabled porch has
double-chamfered outer arch and double-chamfered and hollow inner arch with
flanking shafts. North elevation of nave has double lancet to right and single
lancetto left. Central north door. West elevation has C13 triple stepped and
chamfered door opening with 2 orders of shafts. C13 sexfoil window above has
wavy surround. C19 circular opening above. C13 slit to right of door has cusped
head. Fragments of earlier projecting masonry to left and right of west door.
C13 west turret is built into west gable. Bell-chamber opening to west under
wood lintel. Small single light openings to east and west. Saddle back roof.
Interior: piscina with dog-tooth decoration. Simple screen. C17 communion rail
with turned balusters. C19 stained glass to west window.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.419).
Listing NGR: SP9037561663
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings