This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2869 / 52°17'12"N
Longitude: -0.7309 / 0°43'51"W
OS Eastings: 486664
OS Northings: 266174
OS Grid: SP866661
Mapcode National: GBR CX7.N16
Mapcode Global: VHDRW.8SZ7
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 28 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233594
Location: Wilby, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN8
Civil Parish: Wilby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Wilby St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
WILBY CHURCH LANE
Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Church. C13, C14, chancel rebuilt c.1853. Squared coursed and banded limestone
and ironstone with lead and plain-tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south
porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of one-window range with
2-light window with reticulated tracery. Low side lancet to left and south door
to right. Steep gabled roof with ashlar gable parapet and finial. 3-light east
window with tracery. North elevation of chancel has vestry attached of 2-window
range of C19 two-light square headed windows and 3-light east window. South
aisle of 3-window range of C14 two-light square-headed windows with C19 tracery.
3-light east window has Y-tracery with cusping. Lean-to roof has ashlar gable
parapets. Gabled porch to left of centre has double-chamfered pointed arch
opening. North elevation of nave of 3-window range of 2-light square-headed
windows. South nave clerestory of 3-window range of 3-light square head window
with renewed arch head lights. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets.
Decorated west tower has base of 2 stages with plinth. C15 west door with
4-centred arch head and quatrefoils in the spandrels. 2-light ogee head window
above has panel tracery and is flanked by statue niches. Small square windows to
each face at base of second stage have four-petalled tracery. 3-stage clasping
buttresses at corners terminating in pinnacles having panel tracery, with flying
buttresses connecting to an octagonal third stage. Gargoyles below pinnacles.
2-light bell-chamber openings to alternate faces. Shallow buttresses at each
corner of octagon terminating with panelled pinnacles with flying buttresses
connecting to a recessed spire. Open quatrefoil parapets above and below octagon
with similar decoration to flying buttresses. Spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes.
Interior: 4-bay south arcade of early C14 double hollow and chamfered arches
with octagonal piers. Double chamfered chancel and tower arches. 2-bay north
arcade in chancel links to the vestry with C19 chamfered and moulded arches with
quatrefoil pier. Double sedilia with piscina in chancel and piscina in south
aisle. C19 roof structures. Jacobean panelled pulpit. Plank and panelled door.
Font is circular bowl on C19 base. Monuments: nave, north wall, inscribed tablet
dated 1748 to the Lord family. Several C19 marble tablets. C19 stained glass to
chancel windows and tower window. South chancel window is signed by A. Lusson of
Paris and tower window is probably by Kempe. C19 floor tiling to chancel.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.463).
Listing NGR: SP8666466174
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings