This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3565 / 52°21'23"N
Longitude: -0.7019 / 0°42'6"W
OS Eastings: 488500
OS Northings: 273947
OS Grid: SP885739
Mapcode National: GBR CWH.9C7
Mapcode Global: VHDRP.S18C
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 28 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233496
Location: Isham, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN14
Civil Parish: Isham
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Isham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
ISHAM MIDDLE STREET
SP8873 (North side)
Church of St. Peter
Church. Late C12 to C14, restored 1833 to 1843. Regular coursed limestone and
ironstone with ashlar dressings and lead roof. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower
and north and south porches. South elevation of chancel of one-window range with
C13 four-light window with transom and Y-tracery. Similar 2-light east window.
North elevation of chancel has single lancet window. South aisle of 2-window
range of C14 three-light square head windows, that to left having C19 tracery.
Small door between windows has cusped head. 3-light east window has 4-centred
head. 2-light west window has square head. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets and
C19 octagonal chimney. C19 porch to left in C14 style with gable, finial and
pinnacles. North aisle is similar to south with 2-window range of C14 square
head windows. Lean-to roof with moulded stone cornice and ashlar gable parapets.
C19 porch to right is similar to the south porch. C14 west tower of 3 stages
with plinth, has clasping buttresses to west corners. 2-light west window in
lower stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings in upper stage have quatrefoil frieze
above. Castellated ashlar parapet with gargoyles and pinnacle bases at the
corners. Interior: 3-bay nave arcades, 2 bays to west are late C12 semi-circular
arches, with stepped arches to the north arcades, circular piers and square
abaci. One bay to east has C13 double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers and
responds. Similar double-chamfered chancel and tower arches. One-bay single
chamfered arches between chancel and aisles. Some original roof timbers to south
aisle; other roofs are C19. Late C12 piscina in north-east corner of north
aisle. C14 recess in north aisle has ogee head flanked by pinnacles with
quatrefoil frieze at the back. Perpendicular screen base and carvings to rear of
choir stalls. Jacobean pulpit with small ogee tester and primitive figure
carving to panels. Jacobean communion rail with turned balusters. Tower screen
incorporates carved panels. Various early C19 slate memorial panels. Octagonal
font. Stained glass: late C19 east window probably by Kempe. Mid and late C20
north and south aisle windows.
Listing NGR: SP8850073947
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings