History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St Hubert

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Harrowden, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3282 / 52°19'41"N

Longitude: -0.7074 / 0°42'26"W

OS Eastings: 488181

OS Northings: 270795

OS Grid: SP881707

Mapcode National: GBR CWW.1YP

Mapcode Global: VHDRP.PRC2

Entry Name: Chapel of St Hubert

Listing Date: 13 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040731

English Heritage Legacy ID: 233417

Location: Great Harrowden, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN9

County: Northamptonshire

District: Wellingborough

Civil Parish: Great Harrowden

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Great Harrowden All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Orlingbury

Listing Text

GREAT HARROWDEN THE SLIPS
SP8870 (North side)
14/137 Chapel of St. Hubert

GV II

Roman Catholic chapel. Dated 1905, south chapel 1924 for Lord Vaux. Limestone
ashlar with lead roof. Single-unit chapel with south chapel. Perpendicular
style, a copy of the Chantry Chapel at Higham Ferrers. South elevation of
3-window range of 3-light windows. 3-stage buttresses between windows
terminating as panelled and crocketted pinnacles. Castellated parapet with open
tracery. Shallow gabled roof. 2 lead rainwater heads in centre bay have heraldic
decoration. South chapel in similar style is single-storey, one-window range:
attached to eastern bay. 5-light east and west windows; with single-storey
vestry below east window with rainwater head dated 1905. North elevation similar
to south with small door at west end with moulded stone surround and 4-centred
head with initials A.M. and D.C. in spandrels. Interior: panelled in
Perpendicular style with scenes from St. Huberts life in the altar reredos.
South chapel has alabaster reredos depicting Jesus in the tomb. Stained glass: 3
east windows and south chapel window probably by Kempe. The chapel stands close
to Harrowden Hall (q.v.). Included for group value.
(The gardens and park are included in the HBMC County Register of Gardens at
Grade II*).


Listing NGR: SP8818170795

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.