This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2638 / 52°15'49"N
Longitude: -0.7882 / 0°47'17"W
OS Eastings: 482796
OS Northings: 263541
OS Grid: SP827635
Mapcode National: GBR CXJ.5HL
Mapcode Global: VHDS1.9C4D
Entry Name: Ecton Post Office and Cooperative Shop stone Cottage
Listing Date: 2 August 1972
Last Amended: 13 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233361
Location: Ecton, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Ecton
Built-Up Area: Ecton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Ecton St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
ECTON HIGH STREET
SP8263 (East side)
18/82 No.3 (Stone Cottage), No.5
02/08/72 (Ecton Post Office and
Co-operative shop) and Nos.7
(Formerly listed as Stone
Cottage. Premises occupied by
the Co-op. No.7).
School and houses, now houses and shop. Datestone 1752. Lias ashlar with slate
roof. Originally probably school room at centre with houses attached to either
side. 2 storeys. Together comprising a 7-window range. Centre 3 bays are higher
than flanking bay with central casement with glazing bars and 2 blank windows
either side, all under gauged stone arches. Central ground floor shop window in
original opening has 6-panelled door with glazed top lights to right. C19 brick
lean-to to left. Nas.3 and 7 attached to left and right side each have 2-window
range of casements, those to No.3 have C20 casements leaded and these to No.7
have glazing bars; all under gauged stone arches. Entrances to left and right
under plain arches. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers and brick stacks at ends.
No.9 attached at right angles to No.7 is a 2-window range of casements under
wood lintels with C19 plank door to left. Asbestos tile roof raised early C20.
Tablet above shop window has inscription "A school for poor children built by
John Palmer 1752".
Listing NGR: SP8279663541
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings