History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chantry

A Grade II* Listed Building in Grafton Regis, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1148 / 52°6'53"N

Longitude: -0.8934 / 0°53'36"W

OS Eastings: 475870

OS Northings: 246854

OS Grid: SP758468

Mapcode National: GBR BXT.8YK

Mapcode Global: VHDSR.G3KM

Entry Name: The Chantry

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 18 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235278

Location: Grafton Regis, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Grafton Regis

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Grafton Regis St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Roade

Listing Text

GRAFTON REGIS BOZENHAM MILL LANE
SP7546 (North side)
13/41 The Chantry
01/12/51 (Formerly listed as Manor
House and Lodge)

6V II*

House and barn, formerly stable and barn, ororiginally gatehouse dwelling and north
service building. Mid/Late C16, C19 and C20 altertions. Coursed square limestone and limestone limestone and iirr+stace
rubble, plain-tile roof, brick end and ridge stacks. 2-storey, 5-bay range. Elevation
facing road to south has two large blocked windows with roughly 4-centred heads;
that to right has smaller blocked opening with wood lintel. Irregular glazing of
1-, 2- and 3-light casement windows with wood lintels. Off-set buttress near
left angle. Left end elevation has 3 ventilation slits, right end elevation has
C20 door with wood lintel and carved stone head above. Rear elevation has four
3-light stone arch mullion windows with cut spandrels, that to centre of range
C20 and replacing door, plank door to far right with wood lintel. Pair of C20
leaded casement windows to lst floor left of centre and loft door to right of
centre, all between ground floor windows. Interior: dwelling has large chamfered
spine beam. Late medieval 5-bay roof over whole building has massive
stop-chamfered cambered tie beams to principal rafters with queen struts to
collars and 2 tiers of purlins. Original rafters throughout. The building was probably
a gatehouse range similar in form to that of Northborough, Cambs. Grafton was a royal manor in C16,
and work is recorded here in 1520s-80s. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p227.
H Colvin: History of the Kings Works Vol IV, 1485-1660, pt II, 1982: p92-6; information from
C T P Woodfield.)
(1259)


Listing NGR: SP7587046854

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.