This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0748 / 52°4'29"N
Longitude: -0.8474 / 0°50'50"W
OS Eastings: 479092
OS Northings: 242457
OS Grid: SP790424
Mapcode National: GBR BY8.W0M
Mapcode Global: VHDSZ.83CR
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040847
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235245
Location: Cosgrove, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, MK19
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Cosgrove
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Cosgrove St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
COSGROVE STRATFORD ROAD
SP7941 (South side)
16/10 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. C13, C14 and C15. Repaired 1770-4. Restored 1864 by E.F. Law and 1887-92
by Edward Swinfen Harris. Coursed squared limestone, plain-tile roof to chancel,
lead roofs to body of church. Chancel, nave, north aisle and west tower. Chancel
has 3-light east window with reticulated tracery and hood mould and a C19
stepped triple lancet window to north and south. Priest's door of 1864 to north.
Early English style with shafts and foliage capitals. C13 ornamental
string-course at level of springing of central lancets, partly renewed and
carried over windows as hood mould and over blocked side-lights of original east
window either side of present window. Nave has 3-light windows to south with C19
geometrical tracery and hood moulds. 3 quatrefoil clerestory windows to north
only, with square chamfered stone surrounds and plain stone-coped parapet to
south with central datestone inscribed 1586. North aisle has 3-light east window
with C19 Decorated tracery, 3-light windows to north with late C19 Perpendicular
tracery and 4-centred heads, and small 2-light west window with Y-tracery and
pointed trefoil-headed lights; all have hood moulds. Blocked chamfered north
door with imposts and toothed hood mould. 4-stage tower has many-moulded west
door. 3-light window above with C19 Perpendicular tracery and 2-light west
window to next stage with Decorated tracery and quatrefoil to head, all with
hood moulds. 2-light bell-chamber openings with cinquefoil-headed lights,
quatrefoils to heads and hood moulds. Diagonal off-set buttresses, battlemented
parapet and turret to south-east angle with ridged pyramidal stone roof.
Weather-vane and gilded copper weathercock, possibly medieval. Chamfered plinths
to tower and chancel, irregularly sited off-set buttresses to nave and aisle,
and chamfered wood eaves to north side of nave and north aisle. Interior:
chancel has aumbry. Double-chamfered chancel arch with continuous outer arch and
polygonal responds with moulded bases and capitals innermost. Nave has C13 5-bay
arcade with quatrefoil piers, moulded bases and capitals, double-chamfered
arches and toothed hood moulding. Part-blocked tower arch with C18 door to
vestibule in tower; round-arched door with moulded wood surround and keyblock.
C19 roof to chancel. Plaster ceiling to north aisle. 5-bay roof to nave,
formerly hidden by C18 coved plaster ceiling. Roof has arch-braced ties,
wall-posts on corbels and king posts. Two trusses to east half of roof have
stop-moulded ties, raised principals and side-struts from ties to principals.
Those to west probably late Clb or early C17 with bar stops to ties and
side-struts to principal rafters. Monuments: small wall monument with brass
inscription plate in moulded stone surround to Reverend William Bradshawe,
d.1601, and his wife Barbara. Wall monument, oil on board in Japanned wood frame
to Henry Longueville, d.1713, and 3 wall monuments signed by William Cox of
Northampton, to Harriet Kantchbull, d.1767, to Reverend Pulter Forester, rector
of Cosgrove and Passenham, d.1778, and to Reverend Richard Wadsworth, d.1781.
All have obelisk backgrounds and cartouches of arms, that to Pulter Forester
with inscription on open book.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p159)
Listing NGR: SP7909242457
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings