History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Towcester, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1314 / 52°7'52"N

Longitude: -0.9888 / 0°59'19"W

OS Eastings: 469310

OS Northings: 248598

OS Grid: SP693485

Mapcode National: GBR 9W5.8V2

Mapcode Global: VHDSH.TP3G

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church

Listing Date: 19 August 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040848

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235147

Location: Towcester, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Towcester

Built-Up Area: Towcester

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Towcester St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Towcester

Listing Text

TOWCESTER MEETING LANE
SP6948
13/137 Roman Catholic Church
19/08/76

- II

Church, formerly non-conformist chapel. Built 1846. Coursed squared limestone
and ironstone, slate roof. Single-cell plan. Classical style. Pair of rendered
pedimented porches to south gable end with double-leaf doors. Round-arched
windows above in round-arched recesses with rendered heads. Gable of red brick
with moulded stone eaves continued across its base to form a pediment. Ironstone
and limestone quoins, to front angles. Sides have 3 round-arched giant niches
within arches framing segmental-headed windows to ground floor and round-arched
windows above. 2-storey wing to rear gable end with pairs of round-arched
windows to ground and first floors. Rear gable wall and left side of wing are of
red brick, rear gable end of wing of coursed limestone and ironstone rubble.
Windows all have cast-iron frames. Interior has gallery at entrance end on
cast-iron columns incorporating clock by Sidney Hall, Towcester, to middle of
panelled wood gallery front. Wing to rear houses vestry to ground floor and
former school room to first floor with large round-arched hinged double-leaf
panels which can be opened to give a view down into the chapel. Formerly an
Independent Congregational chapel.


Listing NGR: SP6931048598

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.