History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Blakesley, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1485 / 52°8'54"N

Longitude: -1.0851 / 1°5'6"W

OS Eastings: 462698

OS Northings: 250413

OS Grid: SP626504

Mapcode National: GBR 9VV.8GP

Mapcode Global: VHCW0.48QB

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 14 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040896

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235053

Location: Blakesley, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Blakesley

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Blakesley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Maidford

Listing Text

BLAKESLEY CHURCH STREET
SP6250 (East side)
10/35 The old Vicarage

GV II

Former vicarage, now house. 1839 by George Gilbert Scott. Coursed squared
ironstone, plain tile roof, blue brick end and rear lateral stacks. Double-depth
plan. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. Central part-glazed door approached
by 3 stone steps in moulded stone surround with 4-centred head, cut spandrels
and hood mould. Recessed panel above door. 3-light chamfered stone mullion and
transom windows to first floor left and right, and above door, the latter with
hood mould. 3-light chamfered stone mullion windows to first floor left and
right; dormer windows above with similar 2-light windows and stone-coped gables
with kneelers. Central bay breaks forward and has stepped string course and
one-light window in gable with double-chamfered stone surround. Stone-coped
gables with kneelers. Lower, 2-storey, one-window wing to left incorporates some
older structure. Interior: central staircase hall with open-well staircase with
turned balusters. One original veined marble chimneypiece.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, p.517; D.Cole, The Work of Sir
Gilbert Scott, 1980, pp.15 and 207; P.B. Kingston, Blakesley Then and Now, 1983,
p.25).


Listing NGR: SP6269850413

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.