This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1488 / 52°8'55"N
Longitude: -1.0857 / 1°5'8"W
OS Eastings: 462653
OS Northings: 250454
OS Grid: SP626504
Mapcode National: GBR 9VV.8B5
Mapcode Global: VHCW0.48C1
Entry Name: Priory Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235055
Location: Blakesley, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Blakesley
Built-Up Area: Blakesley
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Blakesley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
BLAKESLEY CHURCH STREET
SP6250 (West side)
10/37 Priory Farmhouse (No.17)
01/12/51 (Formerly listed as House
opposite and South-West of
church, sometimes known as
The Priory or Glebe Farm)
House, formerly farmhouse. C15 hall house, remodelled and subdivided
horizontally C16, with C17 alterations and additions; extensively renovated C20.
Coursed squared ironstone and coursed ironstone rubble, old plain-tile roof,
stone end stacks. Hall house originally, now 3-unit plan. 2-storey, 3-window
range. C20 door to left of centre in C20 gabled stone porch. 3-light casement
window right of centre, 4-light casements to ground floor left and right.
3-light casements to first floor left and centre, 2-light casement to first
floor right. All have timber lintels. Quoins, and stone-coped gable to left with
kneelers. Late C17 wing to rear left. Original door and window to rear. Doorway
has hollow and ogee chamfers, 4-centred head and hood mould. The window has 2
cinquefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil to head and hood mould. Another blocked
arch containing 2-light hollow-chamfered stone mullion window with hood mould.
4-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion window in right gable with hood mould.
Interior: 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof with 2 tiers of wind-braced
purlins. Original window has C16 stained glass coat of arms in quatrefoil. C17
ogee-stop-chamfered spine beam and some stop-chamfered joists. Open fireplace
with ogee-stop-chamfered bressumer. Another open fireplace with depressed arched
chamfered bressumer. Collar truss roof to wing.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, p.107; P. Woodfield, 'The larger
medieval houses of Northamptonshire', Northamptonshire Archaeology 16, 1981,
Listing NGR: SP6265350454
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings