This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1139 / 52°6'50"N
Longitude: -1.0517 / 1°3'6"W
OS Eastings: 465030
OS Northings: 246602
OS Grid: SP650466
Mapcode National: GBR 9W8.JWP
Mapcode Global: VHCW6.Q4B9
Entry Name: The Old School
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040927
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235032
Location: Abthorpe, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Abthorpe
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Abthorpe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
ABTHORPE SCHOOL LANE
SP64NE (East side)
6/14 The Old School
01/12/51 (Formerly listed as School at
North East end of the village)
School, now parish hall. Dated 1642, extended 1868. Coursed squared limestone,
banded with ironstone, plain-tile roof, stone end stack. Two-unit plan.
2-storey, 3-window range with one-window addition. Central 2-light
hollow-chamfered stone mullion window with hood mould, flanked by similar
3-light windows. Ironstone panel above central window inscribed "JANE
LEESON/HATH BUILDED/THIS HOUS FOR/4 FREE SCHOOLE/FOR EVER", Datestone above
inscribed "1642/FEARE GOD/HONOUR YE KING". Central dormer window with 2-light
stone mullion window with hood mould. Chamfered ironstone plinth and stone coped
gable to left with kneelers (coping and kneelers of ironstone). C19 addition to
right takes form of cross-wing with large 5-light stone mullion and transom
window to ground floor with hood mould, blank panel above, and 2-light stone
mullion window in gable with hood mould: ironstone quoins, stone-coped gables
with kneelers and bell-cote to front gable. Central ogee- and hollow-chamfered
stone doorway to rear with 4-centred head, cut spandrels, panel above carved
with 3 fleur-de-lys and hood mould; old studded plank door with ornamental
hinges. Interior has open fireplace with chamfered cambered bressumer and first
floor fireplace with cambered ogee-stop-chamfered bressumer. C19 arch-braced
collar truss roofs.
(Buildings of England: Northants, p.75).
Listing NGR: SP6503046602
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings