History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shutlanger Grove Farmhouse and Attached Walls, Gates and Gatepiers and Ha Ha

A Grade II Listed Building in Shutlanger, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1327 / 52°7'57"N

Longitude: -0.9366 / 0°56'11"W

OS Eastings: 472881

OS Northings: 248794

OS Grid: SP728487

Mapcode National: GBR BXK.B0D

Mapcode Global: VHDSJ.QN6G

Entry Name: Shutlanger Grove Farmhouse and Attached Walls, Gates and Gatepiers and Ha Ha

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040941

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234961

Location: Shutlanger, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Shutlanger

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Stoke Bruerne St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Towcester

Listing Text

SP 74 NW SHUTLANGER

7/144 Shutlanger Grove Farmhouse and
01/12/51 attached walls, gates and
gatepiers and ha-ha
(Formerly listed as Shutlanger
Grove Farmhouse and farm
buildings)

GV II


Farmhouse. c.1840. Red brick in Flemish bond with limestone dressings, hipped
slate roofs, yellow brick internal stacks. Double-depth plan. 2-storey, 3-window
range. Central double-leaf part-glazed doors, approached by 2 stone steps, in
stone porch with unfluted Doric columns, supporting entablature with triglyths
to frieze, deep moulded cornice and blocking cornice. 12-pane sash windows with
moulded stone surrounds. Plinth, stone quoins, storey band and band below deep
projecting eaves. Lower symmetrical 2-storey, 2-window wings, set-back either
side with similar windows, storey band and quoins. Single-storey 4-bay wings,
further set-back complete tripartite composition with blind depressed-arched
arcades with imposts; stone plinth and quoins. Arches to right of main block
frame 2-light casement windows to alternate bays, with wood lintels. Terminal
single-storey 1-window pavilions with pyramidal roofs, square blind windows with
stone sills and flat-arched heads with keyblocks; quoins. Right terminal
building formerly joined to farm buildings surrounding yard to rear. Left
single-storey wing open to yard on 3 timber posts with wood lintels for cart
standings. Limestone walls with limestone gatepiers and terminal piers and
cast-iron gates extend from ends of single-storey wings to ha-ha dividing garden
from field. Interior: stone-paved staircase hall with steeply ramped handrail
and stick balusters. Grey veined marble chimneypiece in drawing room. Stone
cellar. With farm buildings (q.v.) one of a number of model farms built for the
Duke of Grafton.
(Grafton Papers deposited in Northamptonshire Record Office; J. Steane: The
Northamptonshire Landscape 1974, p240-1)


Listing NGR: SP7288148794

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.