History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stoke Bruerne, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1419 / 52°8'30"N

Longitude: -0.9191 / 0°55'8"W

OS Eastings: 474068

OS Northings: 249838

OS Grid: SP740498

Mapcode National: GBR BXD.NGV

Mapcode Global: VHDSK.0FZC

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Last Amended: 15 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040946

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234978

Location: Stoke Bruerne, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Stoke Bruerne

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Stoke Bruerne St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Roade

Listing Text

SP 7448 STOKE BRUERNE CHURCH LANE
(North side)
13/158 Church of St. Mary the virgin
17/05/60 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Mary)

GV II*


Church. C14 and C15 with late C12 origins; restored 1853 by E. F, Law, vestry
and organ chamber and alterations to chancel by E. Swinfen Harris 1879, further
restoration of 1901. Coursed squared limestone; lead and copper roofs. Chancel,
vestry and organ chamber, aisled nave, north and south porches and west tower.
3-bay chancel has 3-light Perpendicular east window, 2-light windows to south
with Y-tracery and trefoil to heads, and chamfered priest's door to south, all
with hood moulds. Plain stone-coped parapet of ironstone and fine limestone east
gable cross probably of 1879 and designed by E. Swinfen Harris. Vestry and
organ-chamber to north has 3-light east window with straight head and
ogee-arched lights, low gable to north and hollow-chamfered stone eaves.
External covered stairway of 1879 on north side of chancel leads to rood screen
gallery door inside church and has blocked hollow-chamfered door with 4-centred
head and hood mould and 3 stepped 1-light windows with cusped and
hollow-chamfered stone surrounds with ogee-arched heads. Nave has 4-bay
clerestory of circular windows with moulded stone surrounds and plain
ironstone-coped parapet. Stone dated 1594 to middle of parapet to south side,
probably recording date of repair or rebuilding. North aisle has 3-light east
window with reticulated tracery, and similar 2-light windows to north and west,
all with hood moulds. North door has narrow hollow chamfer and wide inner wave
moulding and hood mould. North porch doorway has hollow chamfer, sunk quadrant
moulding and hood mould with label stops. 1-light window to either side of porch
with cusped light, cut spandrels, straight head and hood mould. South aisle has
similar windows to north aisle, except for 3-light east window with Curvilinear
tracery, quatrefoil to head and hood mould. Many-moulded south door with hood
mould in gabled porch with chamfered doorway and chamfered inner arch on corbels
and hood mould. Both aisles have hollow-chamfered stone eaves and diagonal
offset buttresses. 3-stage tower has small Tudor-arched west door and 2-light
Decorated window above, and similar larger bell-chamber openings all with
quatrefoils to head and hood moulds. Small 1-light round-headed windows to
middle stage west and south. Battlemented parapet and set-back offset
buttresses. Gargoyles to middle of north and south sides. Interior: chancel has
cusped hollow-chamfered piscina, double-chamfered doorway to vestry with hood
mould and label stops and C19 door with fine ornamental hinges. South door has
fine C14 foliage finials of former hood mould or reset. Tie-beam roof largely
C19 with wall-posts on moulded stone corbels and curved bracing to ties and
wall-plate. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave has 5-bay arcades with high
moulded bases, double-chamfered piers and arches and thin capital mouldings.
North aisle has cusped ogee-arched piscina and tomb recess with many-moulded
arch, pierced cusping and hood mould. Squint between chancel and south aisle,
which also has cusped moulded piscina. Plain image brackets to left of east
windows to both aisles. Single-stepped pointed tower arch of c.1200. Good Cl9
tiled floors to nave and chancel. Font has octagonal plinth, stem and tapered
bowl. Rood screen Perpendicular with 1-light ogee-arched divisions and panel
tracery above. Communion rail, C17 with fat turned balusters now used as stall
fronts. Reredos of 1879 designed by Swinfen Harris with polyptych altarpiece
panel, probably painted by Nathanial Westlake. Monuments. Wall monument with
brass to Richard Lightfoot, d.1625, in pilastered limestone surround with apron
and hour-glass to finial. Wall monument resembling small hatchment, with coat of
arms and inscription to Jane Nailour, d. January 1655/6, daughter and sole heir
of Robert Wicken; oil on canvas. Wall monument to Mrs. Mary Arundell, d.1676,
recording her gift of £50 for communion plate and the same towards 'beautifying
and repairing' the church; oil on board. Wall monument to Anna, wife of Francis
Arundell, d.1674, with bolection-moulded slate surround to marble inscription
panel. Veined marble wall monument to Reverend William Rolfe, d.1693. Wall
monument to John Blackburn, d.1719, with bolection-moulded stone surround
painted black. Wall monument signed Middleton, Towcester, to John Smith,
merchant in London, d.1768, erected by his executers in memory of his parents
sister and uncle. Limestone with slate inscription panel flanked by ornamental
volutes and with large urn finial. Veined marble wall monument to Reverend
Joseph Tordiff, d.1775, with urn finial. Wall monument to members of Vernon
family beginning with Henrietta Vernon, d.1796; oil on board.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p415; Illustrated Notes on St.
Mary the Virgin (guide) 1975)


Listing NGR: SP7406849838

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.