This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1805 / 52°10'49"N
Longitude: -0.9369 / 0°56'12"W
OS Eastings: 472784
OS Northings: 254120
OS Grid: SP727541
Mapcode National: GBR BWZ.9XX
Mapcode Global: VHDSB.QG17
Entry Name: Grafton Villas
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234850
Location: Blisworth, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Blisworth
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Blisworth St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP 75 SW BLISWORTH NORTHAMPTON ROAD
4/27 Nos.25 and 27 (Grafton Villas)
01/12/51 (Formerly listed as Grafton
Pair of semi-detached cottages. 1838. Limestone ashlar, hipped slate roof,
central stone internal stack. Double-depth plan. 2-storey, 3-window range.
Central block has 16-pane sash windows to ground and first floors with moulded
stone surrounds, and is flanked by lower 2-storey wings. These wings house
staircase hall and have panelled doors in stone porches with Tuscan pillars and
pilasters, plain frieze, moulded cornice and blocking cornice; blank rectangular
panel above porch. Plinth, storey band, moulded stone cornice and blocking
cornice. Interior: stone cantilever staircases with cast-iron balustrade and
columns supporting landing and ramped and wreathed mahogany hand-rail.
Stone-flagged floors; some original stone chimneypieces. No.27 has original back
staircase leading from kitchen Part of an extensive building programme
undertaken by the Grafton estate under the direction of the agent John Gardner
and referred to in his letter of 19th October 1838 "I have chosen the site for,
and set out the double cottage this morning, it will have a Lodge-like effect,
and be an ornamental adjunct to the Archway as well as shew off or stone to the
best advantage". (Grafton papers G4034/2 accounts G3901). The cottages stand
beside the railway bridge (q.v.) on the main road to Northampton, referred to in
letter as "the Archway". They are built of local stone from the Grafton estate
quarry at Blisworth (q.v, Stone Works Farmhouse).
(Grafton papers Northamptonshire Record Office; J. Steane 'The Northamptonshire
Landscape', 1974, pp240-1)
Listing NGR: SP7278454120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings