This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1693 / 52°10'9"N
Longitude: -0.8836 / 0°53'0"W
OS Eastings: 476449
OS Northings: 252928
OS Grid: SP764529
Mapcode National: GBR BX1.ZB3
Mapcode Global: VHDSC.MQQV
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 3 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1040983
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234861
Location: Courteenhall, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Courteenhall
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Courteenhall
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP 75 SE COURTEENHALL
5/38 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. C13-C17, reseated and refloored 1886, partly restored 1897, further
restoration in 1912. Coursed ironstone rubble, with ironstone dressings and lead
roofs. Chancel, north chancel chapel, aisled nave, north and south porches and
west tower. 2-bay chancel has 5-light east window with late C19/early C20
intersecting tracery. Blocked priest's door to south with ogee-arched head and
continuous wave moulding. 1-light low-side window to south-west with cusped head
and 3-light windows to south with cinquefoil-headed lights and intersecting
tracery. Blocked window to north with wave-moulded stone surround. Chancel has
chamfered plinth, string course at sill level, off-set lateral buttresses to
east end and plain stone-coped parapet to south only. All windows and door have
hood moulds. North chancel chapel continues north aisle and has blocked low-side
window to north-east with straight head and chamfered stone surround and 3-light
window to north with straight head, wave-moulded stone mullions, leaded panes
and hood mould. Nave has plain stone-coped parapet. Aisles have C17 3-light
round-arched mullion windows with cut spandrels and hood moulds, and plain
stone-coped parapets. South door has 6-panel double-leaf doors, round trefoiled
head under blank round arch and hood mould. South porch has doorway with
polygonal responds, wave-moulded arch and hood mould, and 2-light windows east
and west with ogee-arched lights, straight heads and chamfered stone surrounds,
that to west with hood mould; small blocked window above porch doorway.
Chamfered north door with hood mould and 6-panel door in C19 gabled porch.
3-stage tower has many-moulded west door. 2-light window above with
cinquefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil to head, 1-light windows to middle stage
with cusped heads and 2-light Decorated bell-chamber openings. Windows and door.
have hood moulds, offset diagonal buttresses and battlemented parapets. Offset
buttress between north aisle and chapel and low buttress to west angle of north
aisle. Interior: chancel has fine piscina and 3-seat sedilia, all with ogee
heads and crocketed hood moulds. Piscina has blank flowing tracery to head.
Sedilia have fleurons to continuous chamfered surround, cinquefoil-headed lights
and blank shields to spandrels. Aumbry with pair of pointed arches. Arch to
chapel has polygonal responds and double-chamfered arch. Similar chancel arch.
Nave has -bay arcades. North arcade has one octagonal pier and one circular
pier, the latter with stiff-leaf carving to capital and chamfered and
wave-moulded arches. South arcade has octagonal piers and single-chamfered
arches. Perpendicular tie beam roof, much renewed. Plain circular tub font;
conical wood cover with ball finial. Early C19 Gothick communion table at end of
north aisle. Fragment of medieval wall painting with upper halves of female
figures against west side of west pier of south arcade. Late C19 stain glass
chancel windows to south. 4 hatchments, oil on canvas. Monuments: chest tomb
with rhyming inscription to limestone base and black marble ledger stone with
indents of brasses to Richard 0useley d.1599 and family. Monument to Sir Samuel
Jones d,1672 and his wife Mary, of black and white marble with large kneeling
figures on base with inscription, flanked by Ionic columns with broken segmental
pediment framing cartouche of arts. Attributed to William Stanton. Marble wall
monument by William Cox Senior to Sir Charles Wake d.1769 with apron, Corinthian
pilasters of veined marble, winged skull surmounted by canopy above inscription.
Wall monument to Isla Campbell d.1837 aged 6 weeks framing soft paste porcelain
model of dead child in niche behind glass. Numerous other C19 and C20 marble
wall monuments to members of Wake family.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp165-6; Kelly's Directory for
Listing NGR: SP7644952928
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings