History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nether Heyford, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2227 / 52°13'21"N

Longitude: -1.0358 / 1°2'8"W

OS Eastings: 465960

OS Northings: 258714

OS Grid: SP659587

Mapcode National: GBR 9TY.NXR

Mapcode Global: VHDS3.0D8F

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 3 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041021

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234757

Location: Nether Heyford, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Nether Heyford

Built-Up Area: Nether Heyford

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Heyford St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Weedon Bec

Listing Text

NETHER HEYFORD CHURCH STREET
SP6558 (East side)
10/127 Church of St. Peter and St.
03/05/68 Paul

GV II*


Church. C13, C14, C16; restored and reseated 1855 by William Butterfield, organ
chamber added, chancel rebuilt and church restored 1878 by E.F. Law. Coursed
squared ironstone and coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, slate roofs with
tile ridges except for felt roofs to aisles. Chancel, organ chamber, nave,
aisles, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light C19 Decorated east
window with reticulated tracery and straight-headed windows to north and south
with ogee-headed lights, quatrefoil to head to that to south-east; diagonal
offset buttresses, chamfered plinth and string course at sill level and plain
stone-coped parapet with frieze at eaves level decorated with alternate heads
and fleurons. Organ chamber (now vestry) to south has roll-moulded and
hollow-chamfered door to east with hood mould and head stops (door re-set and
partly renewed), Decorated style 2-light windows to east and south, diagonal
offset buttresses, chamfered plinth, string course, plain stone-coped parapet
and hipped roof. Nave has clerestory of quatrefoil windows, 4 to north, 3 to
south, with square chamfered stone surrounds; hollow-chamfered stone eaves and
stone-coped east gable with kneelers. C13 north aisle has 2-light coupled lancet
windows except for that to north-east which has C19 tracery and trefoil to head.
Double-chamfered north door with hood mould. South aisle has 2-light
hollow-chamfered stone mullion windows to south and C19 quatrefoil window to
west. C13 south door with one order of shafts, imposts and single-stepped arch
with nail-head decoration in C19 gabled porch. 3-stage west tower has blocked
west door with hollow chamfer and sunk-quadrant moulding, and hood mould with
label stops. 2-light window above with trefoil to head, small niche with
ogee-arched head to middle stage west, small 1-light window with cusped head to
middle stage south and 2-light bell-chamber openings with ogee-arched heads to
lights and quatrefoil to head. Diagonal offset buttresses and plain stone-coped
parapet. Diagonal offset buttresses to south aisle, hallow-chamfered stone eaves
to aisles and hood moulds to all windows except those to clerestory and south
aisle. Interior: chancel has piscina with ogee-arched head and crocketed hood
mould. Chancel arch has double sunk-quadrant-moulded arch, the inner arch on
corbels. Nave has 5-bay north arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and
chamfered arches. 4-bay south arcade has octagonal piers, moulded capitals and
double-chamfered arches with polygonal respond. Over life-size carved stone
bearded head over middle arch of north aisle. North aisle has blocked recess
With shafts and double roll-moulded arch, possibly an Easter Sepulchre. Font
with plain round bowl and C17 octagonal, pyramidal, cover with ball finial.
Polygonal pulpit and lectern designed by William Butterfield. C19 stained glass
east window. Monuments: brass of Sir Walter Mauntell, d. 1487, and his wife
holding hands. Wall monument to Judge Francis Morgan, d.1556, his wife and
family with kneeling figures of husband and wife facing each other at prayer
desk with members of their family behind them, flanked by allegorical figures in
niches - Fides (feet only) and Spas. Simple marble wall monuments to Mrs. Sarah
Bull, d. 1718, Mr. George Goldburne of Upper Heyford, d.1688, and Thomas
Goldburne, d.1697.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.311; Kelly's Directory for
Northanptonshire, l928; St. Peter and St. Paul Heyford; official guide
(leaflet), no date.


Listing NGR: SP6596058714

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.