This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1224 / 52°7'20"N
Longitude: -0.9727 / 0°58'21"W
OS Eastings: 470429
OS Northings: 247618
OS Grid: SP704476
Mapcode National: GBR BXJ.T20
Mapcode Global: VHDSJ.3X4B
Entry Name: The Chain Gate and Lodges and Attached Walls, Piers, Standards and Chains
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 22 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041106
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234546
Location: Paulerspury, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Paulerspury
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Paulerspury St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP74NW (East sidej
4/36 The Chain Gate and lodges and
01/12/51 attached quadrant walls,
piers, standards and chains
(Formerly listed as Chain
Lodge on Watling Street)
Gateway and lodges. 1822-3 by John Raffield for third Earl Pomfret. Limestone
ashlar and Coade stone, rendered brick, concealed lead roofs. Central gateway
joined to one-unit lodges by colonnades. Gateway has round-headed arch with
imposts and console keyblock flanked by unfluted Corinthian columns supporting
entablature with cock's head crest in frieze above columns, a blank panel above
with arch and topped by swagged urns either side of arms of Earl Pomfret with
lion supporters, earl's coronet and motto "HORA E SEMPRE". Capitals, crests,
urns and arms of Coade stone, the latter inscribed on base "CROGGAN/LATE COADE"
to left, "LONDON" to right and 1822 in middle. Lower 5-bay colonnades extend
either side of gateway to lodges either end, the central bay of each wider with
pedestrian gate and incised panel lintel; unfluted columns, composed capitals in
Adam style, full entablature with bucrania in frieze above columns either side
of central bay which is topped by large oval urn, flanked by swagged urns, all
of Coade stone. Ornamental gates and railings of cast iron with spear finials.
Square one-storey one-window lodges have round-headed sash-windows with imposts,
recessed in round-headed arches. Plinth, moulded within arches. Moulded sill
band within arches. Frieze and cornice, blocking cornice with acroteria and
reclining deer facing outwards in Coade stone. Sides of lodges are rendered to
imitate ashlar and have 4-panel doors to inner sides behind colonnades.
Elevations to park similar to front but topped by large Coade stone urns with
flame finials. Quadrant walls of rendered brick, stone coped, extend from lodges
to stone piers with attached low cast-iron standards supporting chains which
form boundary to area of grass either side of drive. Design exhibited at the
Royal Academy in 1825, constructed as the principal entrance to the park of
Easton Neston house and now also the main entrance to Towcester racecourse.
(Buildings of England Northamptonshire, p.205; Howard Colvin, 'A Dictionary of
British Architects', 2nd Edition, 1978, p.669).
Listing NGR: SP7042947618
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings