This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1272 / 52°7'37"N
Longitude: -1.2637 / 1°15'49"W
OS Eastings: 450502
OS Northings: 247906
OS Grid: SP505479
Mapcode National: GBR 7S4.RB0
Mapcode Global: VHCVX.1SSP
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041169
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234388
Location: Chipping Warden and Edgcote, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Chipping Warden and Edgcote
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Edgcote
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5/117 Church of St. James
Church. Early C13. Decorated and Perpendicular. Coursed limestone and ironstone
rubble, ashlar tower, lead roof. Chancel, north vestry, nave and south aisle,
south porch, west tower. 3-light Perpendicular windows in chancel. Late
Perpendicular north vestry has square headed window with 2 cusped lights.
Projection to west between nave and chancel contains C17 manorial pew, and has
one-light window with moulded stone frame and square hood to north and doorway
with pointed stone arch in west side. Two 2-light Decorated windows with flowing
tracery in north wall of nave. C14 north doorway has arch with continuous
mouldings, studded plank door and holy water stoup in arched recess to right.
Two 2-light C14 windows with Y tracery in south aisle east of doorway and
similar west window. C18 east window, 3 lights with straight keystoned head and
stone mullions. C14 south porch has entrance with continuous mouldings and
studded ribbed plank door. C13 inner doorway has double chamfered arch and jamb
shafts with bell capitals. Perpendicular west tower, 4 stages with castellated
parapet. West doorway has arch with continuous mouldings and hood with crocketed
finials. Studded ribbed plank door. Holy water stoup in arched recess to right.
3-light west window with bar tracery. 2-light bell openings with transom and bar
tracery. Interior: Piscina in chancel in arched cusped recess. C17 doorway to
vestry has elaborately moulded 4-centred arch and original studded ribbed plank
door. Manorial pew divided from chancel and nave by wooden Doric column and
fitted with C17/C19 panelling and wall seats. Early C13 south arcade, 3 bays,
has double chamfered arches and round piers. Capital of east pier is carved with
heads, one supported by a hand. C18 polygonal panelled pulpit. C18 font
(disused), alabaster in the form of an urn. Present font C19. Stained glass
shields in south aisle windows C16 and C17. Important collection of monuments to
the Chauncy family, including 4 by Rysbrack. Earliest to Toby, died 1579 and 2
wives. Alabaster chest tomb with effigies. William died 1585 and wife. Alabaster
chest tomb with effigies and figures of 9 children in relief on north side.
Other monuments are architectural wall tablets. Toby died 1662. South aisle.
Slate plaque in gilded alabaster frame with scrolls and pendants of fruit
surmounted by coat of arms. Those by Rysbrack are to William Chancy died 1644
(east end south aisle) pedimented white marble wall tablet. Richard died 1734,
(west of south door). White marble tablet with broken pediment. Children of Toby
Chauncy. White marble tablet with broken scroll pediment. Richard Chauncy died
1760 (north wall of nave). Wall tablet with scroll pediment. Swags of flowers
and portrait bust in Roman style. Monument to Toby Chauncey died 1724
attributable to the Smiths of Warwick. Grey and white marble wall tablet with
fluted Ionic columns and broken segmental pediment with coat of arms. Monument
to Julia Cartwright, died 1853. North wall nave. Stone Gothic triptych with two
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.208-9).
Listing NGR: SP5050247906
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings