This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0916 / 52°5'29"N
Longitude: -1.2829 / 1°16'58"W
OS Eastings: 449223
OS Northings: 243935
OS Grid: SP492439
Mapcode National: GBR 7SJ.SK3
Mapcode Global: VHCW2.QP3G
Entry Name: Chinner House
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041197
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234347
Location: Chacombe, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Chacombe
Built-Up Area: Chacombe
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Chacombe St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CHACOMBE SILVER STREET
SP4943 (East side)
10/76 Chinner House
House. Early C16, enlarged C17. Datestone 1657, WL?MC above front doorway.
Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, thatched roof. Brick stacks. Two
adjoining blocks. To right, former hall house, c.1500, one storey and attic, 3
bays. To left, C17 extension, 2 storeys and attic, 3 bays. Doorway in left bay
of right block has C17 moulded wood frame, 2-panel door and C20 wooden hood. C20
bay window to right and two C20 casement windows with wood lintels; window to
left of doorway has 2 lights with wood lintel and wood mullion. C17 five-light
window in left bay with wood lintel and mouled wood mullions. Window in left bay
on first floor is C20; central window Cl7, of 3 lights with wood mullions. To
right, small 2-light window with wood mullion. Rear windows are C20 except C17
first-floor window of 3 lights with wood mullions in right bay. Similar 4-light
window on left side of ground floor. Left block has coped gable ends with
kneelers and flanking brick stacks. Interior: Two pairs of crucks exposed in
early C19 section which are noted as "The only use of the orthodox cruck form
recorded in the region" (Wood-Jones). Collar roof with arch braces. C17 section
has corner fireplace with original bressumer on ground floor. Originally a
single storey 3-bay hall house, the old hall was turned into kitchen and service
rooms and floor inserted to provide bedrooms over in C17 when new parlour wing
built to left.
(Wood-Jones, R.B., Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region,
Manchester 1963, pp.37-41. Plan and Section fig.7.).
Listing NGR: SP4922343935
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings