This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.2996 / 55°17'58"N
Longitude: -2.0259 / 2°1'33"W
OS Eastings: 398451
OS Northings: 600608
OS Grid: NT984006
Mapcode National: GBR G795.52
Mapcode Global: WHB0V.V2G3
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 21 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041243
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236271
Location: Hepple, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Hepple
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
HEPPLE B 6341
NY 90 SE
2/31 Christ Church
Parish church. 1897 by C. Hodgson Fowler. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof.
Late Perpendicular style. Nave and chancel with south porch and north vestry.
3-bay nave has porch in left bay and two 3-light windows with 4-centred heads
to lights. Sill string.
2-bay chancel has similar windows and string. Chancel and nave divided by
large buttress with 3 offsets. The chancel windows are set slightly higher
than the nave windows. East end blank except for recessed panel with a cross
and 4 small crosses between the arms.
Gabled roof with flat coping, kneelers and cross finials. The chancel eaves
are slightly swept and slightly higher than the nave. Between chancel and nave
a very short battered tower with slate-hung lower portion, louvred timber bell
stage and spirelet with swept, overhanging eaves.
Interior: Tripartite screen with Tudor-arched openings. Wooden canted chancel
arch and canted wooden barrel-vaulted ceilings. Interior gains much of its
impact from its painted colour scheme.
Large reredos of 1903 has painting of the crucifixion and panels with angels.
East wall has linenfold panelling, chancel south wall has enriched linenfold.
South window of 1901 with figures of St. Aidan, St. Gregory and St. Oswald.
Altar front of 1934 has painting of descent from the cross.
Font, from the old church, C12 bowl on C19 stem; one figure remains beneath a
round arch, more have worn away. In nave north wall a C14 grave cover with
foliated cross. In the corner of the nave a small medieval headstone with an
Listing NGR: NT9845100608
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings