This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.401 / 55°24'3"N
Longitude: -1.8971 / 1°53'49"W
OS Eastings: 406613
OS Northings: 611904
OS Grid: NU066119
Mapcode National: GBR H56Z.2P
Mapcode Global: WHB0B.THSV
Entry Name: Fountain Circa 30 Yards South of Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 3 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041265
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236228
Location: Whittingham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Whittingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
WHITTINGHAM ROAD TO ESLINGTON
25/143 Fountain c.30 yards
south of Church of
Fountain. 1874. Sandstone ashlar, marble and ceramic tiles. Gothic style.
Square base with pointed-arched panels on each side. On east side an attached
octagonal stone basin and above it, a lion's head containing the water spout.
On the north side a copper plate inscribed with the many virtues of Elizabeth
Ann, wife of the Rev. Goodenough.
Square central stage has elaborate cusped openings under gablets with short
marble colonettes at the corners. In the openings ceramic tiles incised with
ladies' heads and doves.
Stone octagonal steeple top with foliage and ball finial.
Listing NGR: NU0661311904
Other nearby listed buildings