This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.346 / 55°20'45"N
Longitude: -2.1214 / 2°7'16"W
OS Eastings: 392401
OS Northings: 605777
OS Grid: NT924057
Mapcode National: GBR F6MM.JF
Mapcode Global: WHB0F.DW2L
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 21 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041296
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236096
Location: Alwinton, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Alwinton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
ALWINTON LOW ALWINTON
NT 90 NW
14/10 Church of St.Michael
Parish church. Chancel, north aisle wall, east end of nave and lower part of
south transept C12. The rest largely rebuilt 1851 by Pickering. Dressed and
snecked stone. Welsh and Scottish slate roofs.
Nave with west bellcote, and aisles, chancel with north vestry, south transept.
West end has 2 tall lancets and smaller lancets to aisles. 3-bay nave has
pointed-arched south doorway and lancet windows. Clerestory has 2-light windows
with shouldered lintels.
Chancel has priest's door With renewed shouldered lintel. One original C12
south window, one 2-light Decorated window with original tracery, and 2 'low side'
lancet windows. C19 Decorated east window.
Transept has cross-shaped carving in gable, dated TSA 1672 for Thomas and Ann
Interior: Probably original but re-cut C13 north arcade with ocatagonal piers
and double-chamfered pointed arches. South arcade and chancel arch are of 1851.
10 steps up to chancel which has crypt below, now vault of Clennel family.
Chancel: shouldered rend arches to low side windows. Deeply-splayed reveals to
C12 south window. The Decorated window.has pointed rere arch. C13 or C14 piscina
in pointed-arched recess.
Plain round font on thick round stem with moulded base, probably C12 or C13.
Two table tombs in north aisle both with finely inscribed marble tops. One is of
1701/2 to Thomas Clennel. The other of 1745 has moulded side panels with
excellent angel and memento mori. South aisle: Percival Clennel, 1796 by
Jobling of Gateshead.
Northumberland County History : Vol. 14.
Listing NGR: NT9240105777
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings