This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1257 / 55°7'32"N
Longitude: -1.5144 / 1°30'51"W
OS Eastings: 431065
OS Northings: 581370
OS Grid: NZ310813
Mapcode National: GBR K9V5.YC
Mapcode Global: WHC30.QF2C
Entry Name: Blyth United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 28 July 1950
Last Amended: 15 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041348
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236012
Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE24
Civil Parish: Blyth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Blyth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BLYTH WATERLOO ROAD
NZ 3181 SW
11/47 Blyth United
28.7.50 (formerly listed as
United Reformed Church, formerly Presbyterian. 1874-6 by Thomas Oliver junior.
Brick in English Garden Wall Bond 1 and 3, with ashlar dressings; Lakeland
slate roof with terracotta ridge cresting. T-plan with hall and sunday schools
at rear; liturgical west end (to north) with north-west tower/spire and south-
west apsidal stair projection. Free C14 style. West end, flanked by, large
stepped buttresses, has boarded doors with ornamental ironwork, and small
lancets to right and left with linked hoodmoulds. Multi-chamfered set-back
above and two tall 2-light windows; rose window in gable. To left, short
linking bay with shouldered doorway within pointed arch, and 3-stage tower.
Chamfered plinth, moulded strings; upper stages have multi-chamfered setback,
between clasping buttresses. Tall paired bell openings with slatted louvres.
Lofty spire patterned in ashlar and brick; pierced band with small lucarnes at
mid-height. To right, stair projection has similar doorway to tower link bay,
and lancets above. 5-bay north and south walls; stepped buttresses, 2 tiers of
paired lancets except for upper 2-light window in gabled dormer at east. Hall
at rear, 5 bays, rather plainer detail.
Interior: 4 bays, plastered above wainscoting. Panelled gallery round 3 sides
supported on cast-iron columns, canted at western corners, and with pointed
arcade on upper level. Roof recently underdrawn; raised half tie-beam trusses
in aisles. Eastern arch, filled by organ, moulded on detached colonnettes
and with head-stopped hoodmould. Oak central pulpit. Original numbered
benches. Early brass light fittings on gallery string. War memorial window
of St. George.
Porch to hall, and small extruded block between hall and church, are later
additions and are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ3106581370
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings