This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0678 / 55°4'3"N
Longitude: -1.5786 / 1°34'43"W
OS Eastings: 427006
OS Northings: 574890
OS Grid: NZ270748
Mapcode National: GBR K9FV.04
Mapcode Global: WHC35.QWGC
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 15 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041351
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236019
Location: Cramlington, Northumberland, NE23
Civil Parish: Cramlington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Cramlington St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
CRAMLINGTON A 1171
NZ 27 SE
(North side, off)
7/55 Church of St. John
Roman Catholic Church, 1906 by Parxour. Snecked stone with flush ashlar bands
and dressings; Welsh slate roof with red tile cresting. 6-bay aisled nave with
south-west porch and north-west baptistery; 3-bay aisled chancel with canted
apse within ambulatory. French Gothic style. Chamfered plinth, buttresses
with stepped coping. Shouldered doorways to south porch, in projection to east
and at east of ambulatory. Aisle and baptistery windows mostly of 2 shoulder-
arched lights. Lofty west end shows 2 tall lancets with buttress between and
vesica over; large moulded finial cross. Clerestorey of quatrefoiled circles,
with cinquefoiled circle on east above ambulatory, flanked by pointed lights
with cusped vesicas above. Nave/chancel division marked by octagonal pinnacles
springing from aisles and clerestorey walls. Baptistery has steep pyramidal
roof with wrought-iron finial cross; similar finial to apse. Bellcote with
finial cross above east door of ambulatory.
Interior: Arcade arches narrow and steeply pointed, expecially in chancel.
High arch-braced timber roof on corbelled shafts; chancel arch is simply a more
elaborate stone truss on triple shafts. Panelled sanctuary. Carved screens in
chancel arcade. Tall carved reredos with 6 painted panels of saints and central
figure of Christ in niche under pinnacle. Similar but smaller carved reredos
in north Lady Chapel. Carved pulpit with figures of saints in pinnacled niches.
Good wrought-iron baptistery rail.
The church is said to be modelled on Ostend Cathedral, which the architect and
Father Chapman visited; it was built on a concrete raft to counteract mining
subsidence. Both wood and craftsmen were brought over from Belgium.
Listing NGR: NZ2700674890
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings