History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vicarage to Church of the Holy Sepulchre with Attached Yard Wall and Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashington, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1822 / 55°10'55"N

Longitude: -1.5861 / 1°35'10"W

OS Eastings: 426452

OS Northings: 587618

OS Grid: NZ264876

Mapcode National: GBR K8CJ.D4

Mapcode Global: WHC2S.L0XM

Entry Name: Vicarage to Church of the Holy Sepulchre with Attached Yard Wall and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 18 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041388

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235902

Location: Ashington, Northumberland, NE63

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Ashington

Built-Up Area: Ashington (Northumberland)

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Ashington Holy Sepulchre

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Ashington

Listing Text

ASHINGTON WANSBECK ROAD
NZ 28 NE (West side)

2/31 Vicarage to Church
of the Holy
Sepulchre with
attached yard wall
and outbuildings
GV II

Vicarage, outbuildings and wall, c.1897. Snecked rock-faced stone with cut
dressings; Welsh slate roof except for red tiles on pent bay to south.
Irregular plan; Arts and Crafts style. West elevation 2 storeys, 1 + 2 bays:
projecting gabled left part has ground-floor canted bay. Right part, with
taller roof, has 6-panel door in entablature surround with carved pulvinated
frieze and swan-neck pediment, behind low screen wall with flat coping ramped
down to end pier with ball finial. Right return 1 + 1 bays: projecting gabled
left part has stack corbelled-out above projection, continued to right under
pent roof, with 2 cross windows; right part has large cross-axial stack on
on roof slope, and hipped roof. 1-, 2- and 3-light windows in moulded surrounds
with varied cornices and hoodmoulds, mostly holding sashes with smaller panes
in upper leaf; some small-paned casements. Rear (east) elevation shows
attached screen wall to right with boarded door and hatches; stack with moulded
cornice at right end. Wall, with pent outbuildings behind, returns to enclose
yard on 3 sides.

Interior largely contemporary. Sitting room has coffered ceiling and panelled
inglenook, which has fixed seats with balustrade arm rests. Dogleg stair with
splat balusters and moulded newels with pinnacle finials. Contemporary
fireplaces, 6-panel doors.


Listing NGR: NZ2645287618

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.