This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1837 / 55°11'1"N
Longitude: -1.567 / 1°34'1"W
OS Eastings: 427669
OS Northings: 587796
OS Grid: NZ276877
Mapcode National: GBR K8HH.JL
Mapcode Global: WHC2L.WYZZ
Entry Name: Ashington Co-Operative Society Premises
Listing Date: 18 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235921
Location: Ashington, Northumberland, NE63
Civil Parish: Ashington
Built-Up Area: Ashington (Northumberland)
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Seaton Hirst St John
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
ASHINGTON WOODHORN ROAD
NZ 28 NE (North side)
Shopping arcade with offices and ballroom above. 1924 by Harrison, Ash and
Blythe of Newcastle, ground floor remodelled as department store 1976. Front
and stair hall in white terracotta moulded to resemble tooled ashlar, returns
and rear yellow brick in English Garden Wall Bond 1 and 3; red tile roof.
Street front 3 storeys, 13 windows. Ground floor has tall plinth and wide
5-bay arcade, formerly open, with 1976 shop fronts in lugged archi-traves; short
bay at each end has channelled rustication and panelled double doors, with
radial-glazed overlights, in surrounds with deeply-inswept jambs and moulded
lintels. Upper floors, above broad band, have 9-bay Giant Ionic Order. 1st-
floor windows in architraves; frieze with leaded inscription ASHINGTON INDUSTRIAL
CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY LTD; mansard roof. To each side a broader rusticated bay
with a giant arch enclosing tripartite 1st floor window and segment-headed 2nd
floor window, below frieze with key pattern and parapet stepped up at centre;
lower end bays have broad pilasters, windows in linked architrave and shallow-
gabled parapet. Metal-framed casements with diagonal glazing bars, replaced on
1st floor of left rusticated bay and adjacent bay of centre.
Right return shows large boarded door of original covered cart dock.
Interior: stair hall has rusticated rear wall and closed-string imperial stair
with moulded balusters and handrail (and additional bronze handrail with
scrolled ends, on cast-iron standards) leading up to balconies. Panelled dado,
openings in architraves, panelled plaster ceiling. 2nd floor ballroom, now
warehouse, with segmental proscenium arch and arched ceiling with patterned
Listing NGR: NZ2766987796
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings