This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1283 / 55°7'42"N
Longitude: -1.5928 / 1°35'34"W
OS Eastings: 426060
OS Northings: 581627
OS Grid: NZ260816
Mapcode National: GBR K994.YF
Mapcode Global: WHC2Z.HCQD
Entry Name: The Tower and Beeches
Listing Date: 18 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041400
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235934
Location: West Bedlington, Northumberland, NE22
Civil Parish: West Bedlington
Built-Up Area: Bedlington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bedlington St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BEDLINGTON CHURCH LANE
NZ 2681 NW (East side)
9/63 The Tower and
House, now 2 dwellings. Late C18, extended and altered 1910. Coursed rubble
with tooled or tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings; green slate roof
except for blue slates on 1910 south extension. Front elevation 2 + 3 storeys,
4 bays, in 2 sections. Left part set forward; left bay has 2-storey bay window
with paired sash windows; 12-pane upper leaf, plate-glass lower; to right porch
with renewed door, plain overlight and battlemented parapet, with 8-pane sash
above. Hipped roof with corniced ridge stack. On right 3-storey tower with
early C20 bronze sundial in moulded stone surround below 2nd floor 12-pane sash
in alternating-block surround. Corbelled-out battlemented parapet carrying
small corniced stack on right. Right return of tower shows 12-pane sash at 1st
floor level. Recessed right part shows two 8-pane sashes to 1st floor of left
bay; right bay is 1910 extension with altered windows. Roof hipped to right
with 2 ridge stacks, the left rendered, the right stepped-and-corniced.
2-bay left return shows 12-pane sashes in alternating-block surrounds. Rear
elevation with 1910 canted bay.
Interior: open-well stair in tower, with stick balusters and steeply-ramped
Formerly known as Tower Cottage; at one time a school. The tower is said to
have been constructed as an atronomical observatory by a C18 curate.
C20 extension on south is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2606081627
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings