This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4109 / 55°24'39"N
Longitude: -1.6991 / 1°41'56"W
OS Eastings: 419146
OS Northings: 613037
OS Grid: NU191130
Mapcode National: GBR J5KW.Y5
Mapcode Global: WHC1K.W828
Entry Name: Percy Tenantry Column
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Last Amended: 25 August 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041405
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235848
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
Percy Tenantry Column
(formerly listed under
NU 1913 7/28 20.2.52.
'The Farmers' Folly' begun 1816 to designs by David Stephenson of Newcastle. Completed
by the 3rd Duke.
Greek Doric column of 83 ft with shallow fluting and foliate cap to balcony platform
supporting a drum on which is the Percy lion passant (facing south). The column
stands on a square pedestal guarded by 4 lions facing inwards on black marble plinths.
The whole stands on a circular granite platform 90 ft in circumference. Panels
on 3 sides of pedestal, stair entrance on 4th (to north). Set back with "Esperance
en dieu" on each side. West panel inscribed "To Hugh Duke of Northunberland KG
this column is erected, dedicated and inscribed by a grateful and united tenantry
Anno Domini MDCCCXVI". [The Duke had greatly increased his farmers' rents and
then reduced them following the agricultural depression after Waterloo]. Formerly
surrounded by railings.
Listing NGR: NU1915213030
Other nearby listed buildings