History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Railway Terminus

A Grade II Listed Building in Alnwick, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.41 / 55°24'36"N

Longitude: -1.699 / 1°41'56"W

OS Eastings: 419155

OS Northings: 612941

OS Grid: NU191129

Mapcode National: GBR J5KW.ZG

Mapcode Global: WHC1K.W84Y

Entry Name: Former Railway Terminus

Listing Date: 25 August 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1041411

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235863

Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Alnwick

Built-Up Area: Alnwick

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Alnwick

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Alnwick

Listing Text

WAGONWAY ROAD
1.
5330
Former Railway Terminus
SU 1912 6/385
II
2.
Rebuilt 1887 Probably by William Bell (architect to the N.E.R.) who built the Darlington
Bank Top Station, which it resembles, in the same year. Large and solidly built
of rock faced snecked rubble with slate roofs "to be worthy of the ducal town"
and to accommodate the Alnmonth and Coldstream branch lines. The west, booking
hall, front is single storey with rounded corners, 2 pairs of windows at the sides
and on corners and triple openings flanking the large central entrance. Cast iron
bracketted canopy across centre portion. Three ridge chimneys; tops of train sheds,
set back now ridge, capped with open segmental pediments. Plinth; modillions
to high eaves cornice. Segmental headed windows with "Board-School" glazing and
continuous hood roll interrupted only by end piers. Side elevations of 16 bays,
segmental headed windows in panels formed by dividing piers, plinth and modillion
cornice set below eaves level. Double train sheds, still partly open to the east
which is flanked by large side piers framing 2 wide segmental arches with vertical
east iron glazing on a cambered base. These train shed arches are separated by
a smaller segmental arch to the central platforms also with vertical cast iron
glazing. Two cast iron columns with simple corinthian columns exposed below.
nterior: 3 aisles of 7 bays separated by cast iron columns with simple corinthian
capitals supporting girder arches. Segmental roofs, with raised centre
parts over lines.


Listing NGR: NU1915512941

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.